Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Alum. header tank question. KF IV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Alum. header tank question. KF IV

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Jay,
    If the production header tank does not have fittings where you need them or is not the right size, contact me and I will work with you to make one to your specs. I'm a welding instructor at a high school and I specialize in TIG welding aluminum parts as a side gig. I'm sure I can come in quite close to the price of the stock units.
    Dan
    Thanks for the offer Dan, but I think it's going to work out ok.

Thanks Wheels! Wow, does a photo say a thousand words! The tank is in a totally different place on your a/c. Mine is mounted behind the rear baggage compartment of all places. I'm handicapped by not having the original build info. I have no idea of what he's done is correct per the plans or not. But where your tank is located, and the shape of the tank make sense. Obviously the seat fits in front of the tank. Has everyone else placed their tank in the same place? I guess it wouldn't be that tough a job to bend a new fuel line from the outlet to the fuel valve.

Jay,

That is where I put the header tank on my model 5. It shouldn't be hard to put in some new fuel lines. You want to put the tank as far down as possible so that you can use the aluminum flange and hose to seal the drain to the fabric. You will obviously need to make a hole in your fabric at the new location too. Like others have mentioned, this will become your low point in the fuel system which is a great plan.

Mine plane came with a plastic header tank and I decided to replace it during the build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Hey Beeryboats,
    Wheels here, My first name is Jay too so I think I'll stick to the handle to avoid confusion. That aluminum header tank works great and I really like the location in my plane. (right behind the passenger seat.) I did have to shave a little fiberglass from a high point on the seat pan to keep it from chafing on the tank. I don't have any contact with the seat and tank now. My normal passenger weights less than 110 lbs but if I put a hog over there it could distort the seat enough to make contact with the header tank. My original build manual shows the tank mounted here. The CD is available and I got mine from John Mcbean. Do you have that yet? You can read up on various processes and save a lot of headache. I'm not the builder and I don't have that much experience with A/C building so I needed the build manual and CD which I have.
    When you take out your interior during inspection, the tank and connections for lights and ELT are all very accessible. the tank is robust so even if there is a hog in the right seat, I am not worried about cracking a line fitting or anything. Hope that helps.
    Jay White
    Kitfox IV classic
    912 Rotax