Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Replacing the engine mount

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Replacing the engine mount

Count your Blessings, if it had broken loose. God was looking after you, if you never lost the engine!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Here's a close up, its fatigue. This is a known problem with the older engine mounts. It doesn't help that I had an impact during a slide off an ice covered runway the first flight with an instructor. Oh did I say he had never flown a IV in his life. He thought it was just like the Kitfox he had flown before. oops. I paid. I think I'm still paying.
    Well, I'll keep you posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

When I got my partially re-built KF 4 the motor mount was warped and had a crack. I ordered a new one from kit fox and could not believe the difference. The new one was at least twice as heavy and felt much more "meaty" than the original. I say it's worth getting the replacement. One less thing to worry about when flying. On a side note, the DAR that inspected my plane said that he uses a safety cable on every one of his engines. At least if the engine falls off, it will hang there and keep the CG close so you can maintain some control to make an emergency landing otherwise you're falling debris.