Hello, I've got some questions about the best approach to training in and owning a kitfox.

I'm starting to get pretty serious about looking for and buying a plane. I've got some time in a P210 when I was younger and started training in a 172. I've decided to train for a light sport certificate at this point in my life because right now I am only looking to fly for fun and light sport seems to be the most economical way to go for me. Unfortunately none of the flight schools around here have a light sport aircraft to train in so the only way I can get light sport certified is to get my own aircraft.

My end goal is to have a plane on amphibious floats and I've pretty much decided that what would work best for me is at least a series 5 due to having a little bit of cushion with the higher gross. From looking around at what is out there it seems like I can expect to spend upwards of $30k for one without floats. I'll also need one with a transponder and radio since I will be flying out of and through controlled airspace.

My concern is that being new pilot I'll essentially be uninsurable until I get some hours logged and I don't like the idea of self insuring a plane with a cost like that. Does anyone have some suggestions for insurance for a new pilot?

Would I be better off buying a more basic inexpensive plane like a series 2-4 with a 582 in it to start with and then transition to a series 5? I've seen some nicely equipped planes like that in the $10-$20k range.

I'm lucky enough to live close to Tom Parkhurst and he was nice enough to give me a demo flight in his kitfox iv lite squared so at least I've got someone within driving distance of me with experience in these that can help with training.