Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Looking for HD starter

Default Looking for HD starter

I started tearing my engine apart last night for the purpose of installing the Big Bore kit. Of course, as I tend to do when I tear things apart I want to improve or modify it. Since it looks easy to get at the starter with the cylinders off I thought I would look at replacing it with a 'New and Improved' version. Honestly I doubt I need it but where are you guys getting the Heavy Duty staters? I see a GPL listed on ebay but have never heard of them. Any particular brand that is better/as good as the Rotax one? Best dealer I might contact?

Default Re: Looking for HD starter

Give L.E.A.F. a call for a quote. 1-800-532-3462

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I put one on my KF 5 a few months ago. We had to shim the engine out 1/2 inch. The HD starter is longer than the stock 912 UL 80 Hp starter and would not fit without the additional clearance. The only other option was to rebuild the engine mount. Check your clearance.
    DAT
    Model V
    912 UL - Xtra
    IVO IFA prop

As long as you are thinking of updates, take a look at the new flywheel that changes ignition timing and the really cheap oil pump mod that makes the engine a 2000 hour tbo (if you have the newer crankcase). Being that you are opting for the low compression (9.7/1) version, you may not have to change the starter.

DAT,
    Thanks for the reminder, actually that was the first thing I noticed when I saw pictures of the HD starter, that it was longer. I have plenty of clearance with a measured 3 1/2" to the firewall from the rear of the current starter (not a Kitfox).

Mr. Bill,
    Yes, low compression and I don't need the Heavy duty starter, but since I seem to like to plan ahead,I was thinking I may want to do the High Compression pistons in the future but after getting my head straight, I realized if and when I would do that will be a LONG time in the future and more than likely...never. So, you are right, no need for it now and since my budget is officially headed into the negative, I am going to forgo getting any more upgrades in the forseeable future.