Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rotec tbi

Default rotec tbi

Hello all,
    i know there probably aren't many of you running an o200, that is what i will be putting on my ss. I am considering the tbi since i would have to have my carb overhauled if i was to use it. I had seen a tbi for sale some time ago from a guy in s.Africa i believe because his DAR would not allow it. I have not spoken to a Dar yet and was wondering if anyone else has had such an issue. The engine was overhauled by me and not run yet. Would i be safer starting with an overhauled carb? And if anyone has experience with the rotec tbi.
    Thanks, ken

Default Re: rotec tbi

It's experimental. You could use a long scat tube and a windex spray bottle full of gas. But, I wouldn't recommend it…

I've heard very good things about the Rotec TBI units. IMO it would be a good choice.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I looked at a Kitfox V that was for sale with an O 200 in it. It flew great, the plane was rough condition.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I would think the Rotec unit would work great. I use the Ellison TBI which is what they are all based off of and it works great. Much better fuel atomization. Below is Ellisons video. It's a little old but it shows the principle of the throttle body system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4szv...hyJsvwZHf6lAcw
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Ken,

You shouldn't have a problem with a DAR here in the states - I think the rules are different in SA - but it would pay to check anyway.

If you can overhaul an engine, you should be able to overhaul a carb too. It's not that hard and you could buy quite a few carb rebuild kits for the price of a TBI.

That said, keep in mind, the TBI requires the addition of a primer for starting.

And does not eliminate the need for carb heat (if that's a concern where you fly).

It would add another variable when tuning in a fresh engine, but once dialed in (from what I hear) most have reported good results.

Greg

Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like the tbi is the way to go.

I have a rotec TBI on a soob ,it runs smooth an fires up instantly, a bit of learning curve setting it up but I would recommend it for sure,it will run on gravity pressure from the wing tanks also but I also have a fuel pump installed

marshawk,
    what kind of pump are you using? psi? is it in the cockpit or under the cowling?
    thanks, ken

Hi Ken,its a faucet pump,not sure of the number off the top .of my head,I think it psi was 3 or 5 psi and located under the passenger seat. Rotec will give you the range of the psi for what ever tbi you buy

Quote Originally Posted by Marshawk View Post
    Hi Ken,its a faucet pump,not sure of the number off the top .of my head,I think it psi was 3 or 5 psi and located under the passenger seat. Rotec will give you the range of the psi for what ever tbi you buy
    I'm using the TBI on an O200 with a Faucet pump. Did you run the return line back to the tank that is shown in the Rotec manual?