Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912 missing carb?

Default Re: 912 missing carb?

Sounds like the aluminum "tank" is the OEM intake plenum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

arm yourself with some carb or brake cleaner. remove the bowls and blow everything out good. If you don't know the carb than take everything that has a hole and shoot into it. reinstall the bowl. you generally don't need to worry about the gasket it's pretty tough. I would consider replacing all the black hose in the fuel system. seems it don't last long. yesterday morning after an hour flight when I was coming in to land I smelled the familiar gas smell. I got her back in the hangar and looked around the plane, than all the sudden there it was some fuel dripping and doing it good. I removed the cowl and right under the right carb was the leak. I put those lines on about 3 years ago ,but they needed new again. last night I flew it after putting new on and it ran real nice, wondering if the inside of the hose had an issue also. thought it might have been a fluke. went out again this morning, wow, better than it has run in a while. I think the fuel line had a problem. so change them, just do it and blow out the carbs. good luck.

Mike,

I am basing this on your explanation of the airbox on the back of the engine....most people do not have it so it is a little new to most.

1) There is a photo of a Series 7 with 912ULS and the Rotax airbox installed.

2) If you have the airbox, and there is nothing connected to the two ports on the bottom of the airbox, the engine is running completely on UNFILTERED air......chunks as big as the openings of the ports can get sucked in - rags, bird parts, anything.....

One port is supposed to be connected with SCAT tubing (the red stuff) and would normally run to the right side of the NACA cooling duct to connect to an air filter inside the cooling duct just in front of the Radiator on the starboard side - this would be your normal cold induction air. The other port is for alternate air or carb beat - if alternate air a simple screen over the port would be a normal option to keep the lumps and chunks out of the engine. If carb heat...which I doubt you would have on an S7 - the second port would hose to the carb heat pickup. There is a device on the back of the airbox to switch from normal to alternate air function which would normally be connected to a cable going to the cockpit so you can switch between normal and alternate. The second photo of the panel shows where the actuator knob (silver thing) is located to the right of the throttle. The last photo shows where the hole in the NACA cowl is for the aluminum fitting that connects the air filter to the SCAT hose. This uses a single K & N filter of a different configuration and a larger capacity than the ones used on the individual carbs.

If the plane has been running on unfiltered air for who knows how long.....there is a whole bunch of possible things that could be going on starting at the airbox through the carbs, etc.

Most people do not use the airbox....cost mostly....but, it has a couple advantages....1) the carbs can't fall off and the flange rubber is pretty well protected from unusual forces that could damage it. 2) Rotax claims the 100 HP of a 912ULS cannot be realized without the induction airbox.....without it it's suposed to be limited to 95 hp...

Hope that helps some

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear, Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave S; 06-26-2014 at 03:20 PM.

I subscribed to the Rotax owner web site best 29.95 I've spent.
    I've learned a lot in the last 24hrs this site thanks to all.

Mike

I am also new to the 912. I bought a kitfox 3 about two years ago and had a roughness in the mid range. I checked syn mechanically and it is good. I found an article on the importance of the carb vent tubes being 120mm and routed between the carb bowl and the retainer spring. This significantly helped it above 2800rpm. Then I sitll had a roughness between 1900-2600rpm. I checked the idle mixture screws and they were 1 1/2 turns out. I adjusted the idle mixture and it smoothed out the rest of the range. Vacuum syn is the best but the vent tube and the idle mixture adjustment made a huge difference. Hope this helps.

I concur with Mike join the Rotax web site a lot of good maintenance and installation how to videos.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas