Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel for 80HP 912

Default Fuel for 80HP 912

I purchased this plane last fall. The previous owner rus the engine with 1 part 100LL and 3 parts 87-OCt. I live in a Village (Yakutat, AK) that only has 87OCT. Does anyone out there run a combination and or any other type of additive?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Default Re: Fuel for 80HP 912

use the 87 oct should be fine. even put in the alki fuel if the tanks can take it. I use 91 in my 100. when I had the 80 I used the 87. I use the alki fuel in my 100 because it's 60cents less doesn't run any different.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 06-04-2014 at 11:24 AM.

I can only get 87 in non-ethanol, so that is what I use. Seems to work fine as I have done it for several years. My airport is as 4,500' MSL.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Dave , I only use the alc free gas in my 912ul . interested in why the prev owner used a mix . I've never heard of any advantage to using the avgas , especially since you pay a penalty for using 100ll in times between oil changes and spark plugs .
    suppose you don't have too many gas stations up there so maybe you can't get alc free gas .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

The only reason I would think is to add some stability to the fuel. Auto gas is junk. It's not stable for more than a couple weeks. Avgas is stable for years.

I run non-contaminated 92 octane gas in my plane because I know how fast the octane levels deplete with time. I was told that vented fuel will loose several points of octane over just a week or two.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Could be stability or his 87 octane was really crap and he was experiencing knock or trying to avoid knock. The 80hp 912 requires 87 octane (90 RON) min, all the other 912's and 914 require 91 min (95 RON).

I do agree octane can reduce when exposed to the atmosphere, but have not heard anyone report several point in a short period of time. Most I have heard of is a point or 2 over more than 3 months. Your mileage may vary (literally) .

Greg

Keep in mind because of our glorious federal governmental regulations, auto fuel blends vary greatly not only from state to state, but even between communities.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I am not 100% sure on this but does 87 unleaded in Alaska have ethanol? I seem to have read somewhere that most gas in Alaska is non-ethanol, could one of you Alaska guys comment?
    Even if your gas does have ethanol it should be fine since Rotax say up to a certain percentage is acceptible. Especially for the 80 hp.

A little of topic but one of the reasons I am wanting the 'Zipper' kit is so I can go back to burning 87 octane fuel. Living in Mn does have the advantage that most premium fuel is non-ethanol but I want to be able to fly out of state and finding premium without ethanol can be problematic. My engine (original 80HP) has the high compression piston made by Extra-Performance and currently needs premium. While I keep a large stock on hand at my farm it is harder to get when I fly a long distance from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    The only reason I would think is to add some stability to the fuel. Auto gas is junk. It's not stable for more than a couple weeks. Avgas is stable for years.

I run non-contaminated 92 octane gas in my plane because I know how fast the octane levels deplete with time. I was told that vented fuel will loose several points of octane over just a week or two.
    sounds like a good excuse to fly. sorry dear I have to go fly, my fuel might go bad if I don't burn it up

Slyfox, you are a sly fox!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos