Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel for 80HP 912

Default Re: Fuel for 80HP 912

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    sounds like a good excuse to fly. sorry dear I have to go fly, my fuel might go bad if I don't burn it up
    Sly, thanks for the help in making excuses to go fly. I don't think my wife will know that 100LL is stable compared to 87 octane, she knows gas goes bad. I will not use the 10% ethanol crap, it stripped some fiver glass or mold release out of my mains, and I damned near had a disaster in my plane, my throttles were stuck wide open with the gunk build up inside the carbs. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to use ethanol laced fuel.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

thanks Paul, I will try and give more when I can. as far as the alki fuel. maybe your tanks weren't washed out right. when I got my fuel tanks it was suggested that auto fuel be used to clean them out. I used auto fuel with alki on mine and yes it stripped a bunch of junk off the tank. I kept cleaning until there was no more, than I left some in the tank to make sure it could handle it. than I drained installed on the aircraft and walla. I haven't ever had any trouble using alki fuel. I use to make a check when refueling to see if the resins inside the tank were soft by rubbing my fingers inside the tanks, nope felt real nice. I don't do it any more.

I'm sure you are too nervous to try again and I don't blame you. this is my story and so far things are working out. The big thing no matter what we do we need to have a nice warm and fuzzy or we shouldn't do it. after all if something happens we can't just pull over and take care of it.

Wasn't it MEK or lacquer thinner that was supposed to be the magic tank cleaner?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I believe it is a 50-50 mix of acetone and gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by mr bill View Post
    I believe it is a 50-50 mix of acetone and gasoline
    That is what I used to clean my tanks up.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    thanks Paul, I will try and give more when I can. as far as the alki fuel. maybe your tanks weren't washed out right. when I got my fuel tanks it was suggested that auto fuel be used to clean them out. I used auto fuel with alki on mine and yes it stripped a bunch of junk off the tank. I kept cleaning until there was no more, than I left some in the tank to make sure it could handle it. than I drained installed on the aircraft and walla. I haven't ever had any trouble using alki fuel. I use to make a check when refueling to see if the resins inside the tank were soft by rubbing my fingers inside the tanks, nope felt real nice. I don't do it any more.

I'm sure you are too nervous to try again and I don't blame you. this is my story and so far things are working out. The big thing no matter what we do we need to have a nice warm and fuzzy or we shouldn't do it. after all if something happens we can't just pull over and take care of it.
    That was my first dead stick landing in my Kitfox, I landed just a little fast.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    That is what I used to clean my tanks up.
    Same here.....
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Thanks for the info. I will talk to our Local distributor and see what he says about our fuel. Thanks for the posts. I just got my floats in today. So many projects so little time. Off to pull my boat engine. The Halibut are calling!
    Safe Flying!
    Dave
    Yakutat