Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: BMW Motorcycle engines

Default BMW Motorcycle engines

I am looking for info from anyone who is using a BMW motorcycle engine in a Kitfox. This brand of engine has legendary reliability and I know there are users in Europe, so I'm looking to get in touch with a domestic user. Thanks much
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Default Re: BMW Motorcycle engines

In South Africa, there is a popular, and almost exact copy of the various Kitfox models, flying and being sold as kits. Someone here experimented with the BMW engine, with huge success. I shall try and find you a link to the site (very similar to this one, including a builders forum) and try and post it over the weekend.

Regards
    Tiaan Hafele

Kitfox Model 3 - Flying, Rotax 618
    Kitfox Model IV - Restoring, Rotax 912 UL

Cosmofly,

Thanks much. I'm looking forward to what others have done with the BMW.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmofly View Post
    In South Africa, there is a popular, and almost exact copy of the various Kitfox models, flying and being sold as kits. Someone here experimented with the BMW engine, with huge success. I shall try and find you a link to the site (very similar to this one, including a builders forum) and try and post it over the weekend.

Regards
    Ross Aero of Tucson AZ did an avid with a two cylinder BMW back in the mid 90's.
    I almost tried one on my KF-III. decided on a Sub instead, which isn't flying either.. ahhh life...

I am not sure if Ross Aero is still around or not. Did not hear much after Fred Ross died. His son still ran the shop.

KTH

I've had a couple BMW motorcycles, still have one, and they have a few issues that are ok to deal with on the road. I wouldn't want one on an airplane. I'll take my dual ignition Rotax any day over a BMW boxer engine.