Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bing 64 Floats

Default Bing 64 Floats

Hi, I am freshening up my Bing 64's and noticed that one carb has notched floats and the other has rectangle floats. The rectangle ones look like they have been stuck or are sticking. Can I notch them myself? Also, I noticed that one carb needle screw was 1/4 turn out and the other was 1 turn out. I haven't rebuilt carbs sense high school so I can't remember if that is normal. It doesn't seem to be thou. I looked at both needles and the do not have any signs of wear or corrosion. The 912 that they go on has 120 hours and was hung on my bird in 94. When I parked it (bought it) last fall the engine was running rough and didn't have the power that I new it should. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Dave

Default Re: Bing 64 Floats

Can you post a photo of what you mean by notched?

Option 1: Get a set of complete rebuild kits for the carbs, including floats, and rebuild them both. The idle air screws should match from side to side. Usually between 1 and 1-1/2 turns out.

Option 2: Send the carbs to a Rotax facility for rebuild.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I will see about the pics tonight. The floats that don't have any issues have the corners removed on one side of each of them allowing the floats to sit parallel to each other in the bowl. When you look at them installed on the posts you can see how they are form fit. The the other two are just small rectangular (brick) floates that sit at an angle to eachother when installed. They are actually binding when I fill the bowl with gas and bob them up and down. It is also the side that I am having trouble with. I just hate paying 50$ each for maybe 2$ worth of floats. Everyone needs there cut these days. Even in the experimental market! I already have all of the other parts that I need, I think I am going to get out the dremmel anyway and see if I can shave the corners off and see if they will still float! Just wondering if anyone else has tried it.
    Thanks,
    Dave

I'd go with new floats. The walls on them are usually pretty thin, shaving - even if it did work, could be a point of failure in the future.

Greg

The floats should sit at a slight angle to one another. That's how they are designed to fit. If your's are binding, you need new floats.

"Shaving" them with a dremel will ruin your $50 floats.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I tried to post pics of both types of floats three different times with no luck. I found floats thru Spruce and Spec for $90 including shipping. I am going to notch the ones that I am replacing and stick them in a mason jar for a couple of weeks to see if they will saturate. I guess It is a known problem because I can only find the new notched style.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The float part number listed is 861-184, and per the LEAF catalog page 103 it looks like the current part has a non-rectangular shape to them. They list by the pair for $107.25 (page 117).

Link

Mine are the rectangular floats and work fine at an angle to each other, with no binding. There must have been an update at some point.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

my advice. buy two new floats. the flat sided ones are the old ones. there really isn't anything wrong with them. but I did replace those on my old engine. reason, they sunk. you take and modify your float and it will sink. they have a coating on the outside, disturb that and your screwed. back when I bought mine they were 50 a piece. as far as the settings between the carbs, put them all the same. you have two separate engines in one. if that gives you a clue. no need to buy their fancy carb kits. but the orings inside on the jets and stuff and gaskets are important. get those. needles. yes buy those and the arms, they wear a hole right where the needles ride, get those. it will cost, so open the wallet. if you put on K&N filters, don't put their oil in them. it will cause things to run rich, ask me how I figured that out. the K&N's will work just fine with no oil. If you clean them do like they say and don't use them until they sit and dry real good. good luck.

The Bing 64 carb float system went through 3 iterations. The 1st was a side mounted hangar arm with both floats attached. They were white floats and kind of rounded. The black rectangular floats came next with the new attach system. The chamfered corner ones are current. The black on the floats is a coating that is alcohol proof.

I don't think you will have any success cutting the corners off - might just want to keep them for spares.

You might try your local BMW Motorcycle shop for parts. Many of their bikes used Bing 64's. They may not have the chamfered floats though a their bikes did not come from the factory with them. Many have upgraded to them though, so some dealers may stock them.

It's amazing to me how much more the same parts can cost when they come from an aircraft parts store.

Greg

Forgot to mention: they also redesigned the shape of the float bowl, so old floats in a new style bowl or visa versa may cause misalignment/sticking. All other parts including seals and gaskets should be interchangeable.
    Last edited by Danzer1; 06-04-2014 at 08:23 AM.

I saved $20 and went with Spruce and Spec. $88 including shipping. After cleaning and inspecting everything I can't find any wear. The only trouble I could find was those Floats. I replaced all the gaskets and o-rings. If I can't get another 100hours out of these before buying any hard parts then I will get rid of them all together and find a set of carbs (or go with an injection system) that will last. I think between the sticking floats and the needle screws not even being close to each other that she will run great when the new floats are installed.
    Any good to know tips for Tuning and Syncing them? I just won a electronic carb sync tool.
    Thanks for the replies
    Have a great one!
    Dave