Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 case leaking?

Default 912 case leaking?

Well, I flew the plane about 8 hours. there has been a drop of oil hanging on the starter after every flight. a little oil around the hoses in that area but no significant leakage, just a drip or two. Last time I chased it to the starter and thought it was the rubber packing in the starter so I replaced those. Its still there. I think it may be coming from the back of the engine case where it splits. I think I just need to watch it to see if it is getting worse. (it won't get better) I already had the engine off, rebuilt the starter, checked the torque on every bolt. I know it won't fix itself but … engines leak. anyone got an oil leak somewhere and they fly anyway even though Rotax says, leakin is forbottin?

Default Re: 912 case leaking?

I will get a drip like you describe at the case seam in the front by the oil pump every time I run. My buddy's 912 ULS in his Rans S7 does the same.

I ignore it now.

In the winter I get a similar drip of coolant from somewhere I've never been able to find.

I ignore that, too.

I park over a piece of cardboard.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

wheels,
    monitor the leak. when going somewhere take some extra. at least you don't have a Lycoming. it leaks more than a drop.

Aww come on sly, my lyc doesn't leak a drop. However the channel chrome cylinders burn a quart every 4 hours.

I've never been able to stop a little bit of leak off my lyc. although lately it's been better, it always has wetness coming from somewhere. I put in a quart about every 15hrs. I guess that's better than yours. I try to keep the oil level at no more than 6 quarts that also helps. My kitfox 912 does leak out the vent hose, one of these days I'll reconfigure that so it stops. I feel I need to loop it up out of the holding tank, may work. it puts a little on the radiator and I see it. I have yet to put any oil in between oil changes and that's done every 50.

personally I don't get too excited over leaks especially on an area that isn't from a pressure hose or something like that. It's amazing how a little oil makes a big mess and the loss is very minimal.

on my stuff if I see a leak I will put dye in the system and than use a black light to see where it really is coming from. works for me.

I guess that's some of the advantages of having a transmission shop, I have a bunch of kool equipment.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 05-30-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks fellas, I feel better. The motor sounds good and the acceleration and operations seem really good. All in all, it was a good experience. I'll finish the album this week. The plane is flying great. Now if I can just get the 4 inches of water off the runway.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    In the winter I get a similar drip of coolant from somewhere I've never been able to find.
    I had a slight coolant leak first evident when I found moisture on the inside of the bottom cowl. I traced it up to a puddle in a depression in one of the cylinder castings then nowhere. I found that I could see evidence if it was pooled or when it resulted in a ready to fall drop on the bottom of a protrusion. Eventually I was able to trace it to one of the coolant fittings on the top of one of the heads. I re-torqued the cap screw - fix.

I guess my thought is that often times where the leak is most apparent is not necessarily near the source.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

The filler tank on my coolant had a wear point that would produce a wet spot on top of the engine housing, its an aluminum coolant tank, welded it up then got a bicycle inner tube that would stretch over it and cut a piece to fit, no problems since
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

mine is a little plastic bottle. I just plastic tied it to the side of my oil tank.

I also frequently have a few coolant drops and the bottom of the crank inevitably has a little oil on it. This has never been enough to concern me though I do check it when ever I take the cowls off. There is no detectable drop in oil between 25 hour oil changes and I top off the coolant a little at about the same interval.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive