Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flying with doors open Max speed?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default flying with doors open Max speed?

Evening all

I have a kitfox kfm 112 model 1or 2
    Is there a maximum speed flying g doors open?
    Can you fly without turtledeck and doors open?

Cheers

Default Re: flying with doors open Max speed?

I flew my model 2 from april to oct with no doors, i didnt take the turtle deck off, i flew her at 80 85 mph no doors
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

You NEED to keep the turtle deck on, especially on a I, II or III.

The bearing at the control arm is critical to keep the flapperons from fluttering.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Speed has never been an issue flying with the doors open. I would caution against slipping towards an open door with just one door open. Make sure that nothing will blow away when slipping with both doors open.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Red face Re: flying with doors open Max speed?

I would caution against slipping towards an open door with just one door open. Make sure that nothing will blow away when slipping with both doors open.
    Yes, even your headset.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Anybody have a photo of the turtledeck flaperon bushing arrangement? Don't recall one on my Model 2.

I have a model 2 and took the doors off. It flies fine 80-85. I did notice a little drag on take off. But doors off is the way to go!

Schoenen Gruss, Olaf -

I suspect your doors close because the gas door spring struts are old and worn out; after a number of years they just lose their holding power. I'm on my second pair of door spring struts on my Model IV; the first ones lasted about 12-13 years. Use the 35 lb.(approximately 47 newton meter) ones for Models I through IV; Part Number 16001.000 in the Kitfox catalog.

The air pressure gradient beneath your wing and above your doors is a highly variable condition but in no case will it keep your doors open in flight. At very high angles of attack you may be able to force the doors to stay up against the wing but then you'll probably be busy recovering from the stall!

"E.T."

I know there is some difference between the Avid and Kitfoxes, especially from the Kitfox 4 and later. That being said, I've had no problem flying with the door open on my different Avids, and only the last one had the shock absorber to hold the door open. I've found that there is a fair amount of pressure holding the door against the wing at normal cruise speeds. You can feel the pressure when you start to close the door. Jim Chuk

I suspect your doors close because the gas door spring struts are old and worn out; after a number of years they just lose their holding power. I'm on my second pair of door spring struts on my Model IV; the first ones lasted about 12-13 years. Use the 35 lb.(approximately 47 newton meter) ones for Models I through IV; Part Number 16001.000 in the Kitfox catalog.
    Hello and thanks for answer but my gas door springs are new, I bought it last year. They have 110 NM and works well on ground, but there is no chance to hold the door open during flight.
    During a slow flight by 60-70mph I have to push the door open and you could feel the pressure. If I let the door go it close itself slowly!? Notice, I use a 582 and I have a propwash from left-turn propeller.

May be I have to fly faster? :-)

Olaf
    Last edited by Olle1975; 07-07-2014 at 10:29 PM.