Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Date is set

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Date is set

Well the time has finally arrived for my inspection! Next Wed. the FAA rep will come up and look at every nut, and make sure everything works as advertised!! And at the end of the day handing me a airworthiness certificate!!! If there is any info or what to expect from the vast Kitfox community, all knowledge is welcome.

I will post pics of the project being done along with me grinning from ear to ear!!!

thanks to all
    Patrick
    series 6 builder!

Default Re: Date is set

speeking of inspections, how long does it usually take for FAA to do the inspection?

Brian.....that depends.....a lot.......In my case it was 14 hours which I think is way, way on the high side. Most of the time was records review....about 35% was aircraft inspection. Other guys have had 4-6 hrs with different DARs.....depends.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912 ULS - Warp Drive

If there is any info or what to expect from the vast Kitfox community, all knowledge is welcome.
    Glad you're getting close Patrick. Hopefully congrats will be in order on Wed. next.

Some thoughts-

My guy was very thorough on paper work correctness. Much less about the physical build.

My inspection took no more than 3 hours. Paperwork being in order is crucial to the FAA.
    All "T's" crossed and "I's" dotted as they say. Truth be told the time spent looking at my aircraft took about the same amount of time as a thorough
    pre-flight.

I had at least two EAA Tech-Counselor inspection forms filled out and signed for his perusal. He seemed to like those.

Having a build photo album was very helpful. He could see I was involved in all aspects of the build. Maybe with the new digital age a "pad" with lots of build photos would be the modern equivalent.

Placarding was important to my DAR. Labeling switches ect. , fuel tanks placarding with volumes and octane ratings for your engine near the fuel filler openings, passenger warning plaque ect.

My "Experimental's" were hand painted below my door openings but he felt they did not show up adequately and I had to have them hi-lighted with darker shadowing paint. Thank you DesertFox6 for saving the day.
    You just never know what your guy will like or dislike.

Final thought-
    Please don't count on your inspector to find any problems or safety issues that you might have missed during the build. Just because they have a FAA badge does not make them an expert on your make & model.

Best wishes for next Wednesday.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Glad you're getting close Patrick. Hopefully congrats will be in order on Wed. next.

Some thoughts-

My guy was very thorough on paper work correctness. Much less about the physical build.

My inspection took no more than 3 hours. Paperwork being in order is crucial to the FAA.
    All "T's" crossed and "I's" dotted as they say. Truth be told the time spent looking at my aircraft took about the same amount of time as a thorough
    pre-flight.

I had at least two EAA Tech-Counselor inspection forms filled out and signed for his perusal. He seemed to like those.

Having a build photo album was very helpful. He could see I was involved in all aspects of the build. Maybe with the new digital age a "pad" with lots of build photos would be the modern equivalent.

Placarding was important to my DAR. Labeling switches ect. , fuel tanks placarding with volumes and octane ratings for your engine near the fuel filler openings, passenger warning plaque ect.

My "Experimental's" were hand painted below my door openings but he felt they did not show up adequately and I had to have them hi-lighted with darker shadowing paint. Thank you DesertFox6 for saving the day.

Final thought-
    Please don't count on your inspector to find any problems or safety issues that you might have missed during the build. Just because they have a FAA badge does not make them an expert on your make & model.

Best wishes for next Wednesday.
    This is his second visit, The first was about 1 month ago , he was in the area and was doing crop dusters recert. He looked over the plane one and wanted alittle more protection for the brake line and for some electrical. He looked at my photos from the build which he liked along with a EAA tech consoler before I covered! All the paper work is done and I received my Registration from the FAA last week. He thought 2 hrs max and he would be on his way!!

[QUOTE=DesertFox4;39
    [/QUOTE]

I think this says it all. You never know. I had several guys recommend my FSDO inspector. Very amateur build friendly. He was formerly an A&P - Helicopters and knew some incredible tricks with cotter pins. Apparently lacerated hands and forearms are indemic with them and hiding the pin ends was his thing. Since I registered as built from Miscellaneous Parts, I went to great lengths ducumenting that - nary a glance at the documentation. I didn't keep a build log so had lots.of progress shots - no glance there either.

Some systems were inspected thoroughly, some not at all. I suspect a lot depends on the inspectors personal experience and to some extent his ego. I have read horror stories about DARs and how some even like multiple visits to Maximize the $$$. I have even been told that some DARs will get in the face of others if they feel they are too easy on the inspection. Who knows for sure, but it sure appears to be a crap shoot.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

We had a DAR out here who lost his license. I suspect it was because he was too easy. He was known to be easy.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I had an FAA inspector who took less than two hours and found no serious issues. He spent about half the time on documentation, reviewing weight and balance and the data plate. The other half was looking over the plane. Mostly he had questions on construction details but I think he was really trying to make sure I built it. It was a good experience and I'm happy to have approached the FSDO for the inspection.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med