The easiest way to chase the wires is with the resistance function on the Fluke. I always do this when wiring unless I am running one wire at a time. Even then, I will often double check continuity with the Ohmmeter before powering up just to make sure. Switch to Ohms. Put one lead on one end of a wire and the other on the other end of the wire. Zero or close to Zero Ohms - Bingo. On my first project I had a collection of permanent markers in all available colors and marked each end of each wire with a color code. Putting a different colored mark or sequence of marks on the wires you have confirmed makes for unambiguous progress. I used the resistor color code and every series of marks reflected a number that was then noted on a spreadsheet. Very cumbersome by todays standards, but it worked over the years for identifying and chasing wires.

I work really hard so I don't release the smoke from anything. Someone once told me that any electric or electronic device is simply a tightly sealed smoke container. Your main objective when using or working on them is to never allow any of the smoke to escape. Once the smoke gets out, the device is toast. Mixing up wires is one of the easiest ways to puncture the smoke barrier.

Another thought. Have you checked the wiring with the basic wiring diagram in the builders manual to see if the wires terminate at the right place?