Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Enclosed Trailer

Default Re: Kitfox Enclosed Trailer

I like this concept that Avid uses. I don’t think it is a retrofit to the Kitfox, but would likely buy one if Kitfox offered it. I rigged something myself, but it is not working as easily as I had hoped.

The other option is to mount a regular tail wheel and someday move the main gear forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S7 Tri-gear 912iS - flying since 2015
    Built by someone that did a much better job than I would have

Is it possible/reasonable to move a semi-completed kit that is already on gear in a narrower trailer by removing the wheels/tires? Anybody done this? I suspect it would be more difficult to load, but if only doing it once....

Greg, Get 3 mover's piano dollys to strap under the fuselage and it should roll right in.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim,

Thanks, I had that figured. What I need to know is whether one can fit a partial kit into a narrower trailer and, if so, what is the minimum width with the gear in place (and tires removed - perhaps also with axles removed if it's on Grove gear). Haven't had any luck finding dimensions of the gear width on an SS7 (with or without axles).

Maybe remove the gear entirely is what you are suggesting? I'm not familiar enough with the Kitfox to know how easily the gear removes.

Cheers,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    Jim,

Thanks, I had that figured. What I need to know is whether one can fit a partial kit into a narrower trailer and, if so, what is the minimum width with the gear in place (and tires removed - perhaps also with axles removed if it's on Grove gear). Haven't had any luck finding dimensions of the gear width on an SS7 (with or without axles)...
    Hi Greg,

I haven't actually measured mine, but according to the drawing provided by Kitfox, the width with standard 6.00-6 tires & wheel-pants, is 7' 4". Leaving the axles on without the wheels & tires would only make a difference of a few inches. Without the axles it looks like the gear is approximately 6' wide. I don't know if that's the "heavy duty" gear or not, or if there is any difference. The fuselage itself is approximately 3' 7" at the widest point... maybe a little wider with bubble doors.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

So I was pondering this issue a few days ago. Why, I don't know. But with a partial completed Kitfox with grove gear, could you mount the axels on the inside to save on the width. Would it put undue strain on something? Don't know. Just a thought. Of course, this couldn't be done with brakes installed without a lot of trouble.

Just thinkin and sharin.

Ralph

So, sounds like it is clearly narrower without the wings on (website shows 8’0” with folded wings) and likely I can find a truck or trailer that will fit it if need be Thanks for the information.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    Jim,

Thanks, I had that figured. What I need to know is whether one can fit a partial kit into a narrower trailer and, if so, what is the minimum width with the gear in place (and tires removed - perhaps also with axles removed if it's on Grove gear). Haven't had any luck finding dimensions of the gear width on an SS7 (with or without axles).

Maybe remove the gear entirely is what you are suggesting? I'm not familiar enough with the Kitfox to know how easily the gear removes.

Cheers,

Greg

It’s much easier to remove the entire gear than just the tires and axels. 4 easy to get at bolts.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Dont forget the horizontal stabilizer if it is installed on the fuselage. A couple people can easily tilt the fuselage to get through the door but you would need a van or trailer 8 foot wide inside.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I'm looking at the POH for the airplane I'm flying here at Stick & Rudder. The span of the tires, measured center of tread to center of tread is 6'6" wide. Looking at the airplane, the gear is a bit narrower.
    Eddie