Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Choice?

Default Coolant Choice?

I will be draining my coolant in order to change out the engine mount and install the optional cabin heater. My question is what coolant should I put back in the engine?

This 912 ULS has been using "water" coolant and I have been told by some of the folks I bought it from it has larger radiators since it was flown in AZ most of it's life. However, the "waterless" Evans coolants looks like good stuff for a number of reasons, and I am considering it. If I go to the Evans, how much flushing will have to be done?

Advantages of Evans that I see:
    Will not freeze. No boiling. Low pressure.

I'm sure there are current experiences and opinions.

Thanks much, Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Default Re: Coolant Choice?

Hi Skot,
    Does Rotax have anything to say about this? Remember, nothing else has the specific heat of water.
    Cheers
    Larry

Evans main benefit is to allow higher temp operation without boiling, a real advantage in very hot climates. The downside is you can only top off with Evans if you're out on a trip and need to replenish. If you're mainly flying in the midwest I wouldn't bother.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Hi Skot,

I have been running Evans (waterless - propylene glycol) in our plane since new (912ULS). At the time Rotax instructions indicated to use this. Since that time, Rotax has recommended both options: 100% propylene glycol - Evans waterless or Ethylene glycol 50% + 50% water.

Some folks run a little higher temps with the waterless than they do with the 50/50 ethylene glycol - the mix has a little better specific heat which helps keep the temps down and it probably has a little lower viscosity than the 100% propylene glycol.

I decided to stay with the evans as I have never had any issues with the temp; and, I like the idea of the higher BP of the Evans. The temp issues can be aircraft specific.

If you change from mix to Evans, Evans sells a flush to use after draining out the old stuff - refill with the flush, run and drain - then install the Evans.

If you go to the Evans website or maybe even Aircraft Spruce, you should be able to find current directions.

Bottom line you can use either - just follow the instructions for the one you use.

BTW - the other use of propylene glycol?.....it's an approved food additive. Often shows up in dog food as a moisture sequestrant.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    St Paul., MN

I've put hundreds of hours on Dex-Cool without any issues - in your same climate. It's available everywhere if you need some and in an emergency you can use water as a filler.

Evans is a great product, but it's hard to come by in a pinch if you need it...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Evans = around 25 degrees F higher running temps than 50/50 .

If you are having boiling issues while idling and taxi then evans will help out with that because of its higher boiling temp .

If you have high temps at cruise then 50/50 will help reduce the temps.

I switched from evans to 50/50 when I dropped the coolant to do the 5 year hose replacement and add in a thermostat.

I am very happy with the 50/50 temp numbers, as well as ease of topping up if ever required
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Guys,

I appreciate the responses. I am leaning towards the 50/50 water mostly because of the option to simply add water "in the field" if there is a leak and the fact there are no known overheating problems with this one.

Thanks, Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Hello,

during winter I use a mix of 50:50. By hotter temp during summer I change the liquid and fill up with 60:40 (water:antifreeze) mixture.

Anybody done the same procedure?

Olaf

Hi Olaf,

Just curious; what kind of temperatures (aloft & on the ground) is your plane exposed to when you seasonally run the 60:40 mix?

Thanks,

Dave S,

KF 7 trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN, USA (snowing again today)

I had the same experience as Kmach. About 25 degrees hotter with the Evans.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page