Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 oil pump

Default 912 oil pump

Is the 912 oil pump a gerotor(sp?) type of pump. Also would that make it self priming? I'm slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that I can put a resevour(sp) behind the water radiator with oil lines going to the pump suction and out of engine at the banjo fitting on the sump.

Thanks in advance for any information on the pump.

Default Re: 912 oil pump

Why?

The Rotax oil sump is of a design to flow, cool, reduce foaming and several other things specifically for the 912. Why are you needing to replace it?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Why?

The Rotax oil sump is of a design to flow, cool, reduce foaming and several other things specifically for the 912. Why are you needing to replace it?

I don't want to replace the oil sump, just lessen the amount of oil that stays in it by making additional resevour(sp) down low behind the water radiator. The tank I have designed will hold approx. 262 cubic inches of oil not including the hose volume. This location will allow additional cooling.

The whole idea is to lessen the amount of oil that lays in the engine sump so a "hydraulic lock" situation won't occur hopefully.

My only concern was wheather the oil pump is self priming, I think it is but I was asking the fourm about that.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel just help make the system better.

Pat

Like most any positive displacement oil pump, it is usually self-priming. However, this is not 100% reliable. It depends on the clearances (new or worn) in the unit, the presence of oil to wet and seal the clearances, air pockets, etc. That is one of the reasons Rotax tells you to purge the system with air pressure after breaking into the system.

If you need more oil cooling why not just install a larger oil cooler; much easier, simpler, and doesn't mess with the well proven design of the system. If you burp the system before startup as you are supposed to do anyway, there is no problem with hydraulic lock.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

As to the oil hydro-locking is concerned, the newer Rotax oil filters have solved this problem with an anti drain back valve. I have never had an issue with this on my motor. I believe the cases to be very rare, or no existent since the introduction and use of the updated filters.

You always need to pull the motor through to check the oil, so should a failure happen in the check valve you would know right away.

Another point would be if you are using a new motor, any modification like what you propose will likely void any warranty.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have installed a rotax oil filter and it doesn't seem to keep the oil out of the back two cylinders.

Again I ask, is the rotax 912 oil pump a "gerotor" style pump. If so it should be self-priming. Can anyone confirm that this oil pump is self priming?

I really would appreciate the help.

Pat

LEAF's online catalog, page 97 shows the pump. It is a gerotor style pump.

http://onlinecatalog.leadingedgeairf...?RelId=5.3.6.2

I would counter that you are masking another problem, perhaps something serious. As I said before if you are using the new style filter, you should not be getting oil flow back into the crankcase.

I would suggest contacting Brett Lauton at LEAF. 1-800-532-3462, ext.154.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I would check the compression, and then valves. It sounds like you may have a problem with leakage around the valve stems, or the rings.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

My model 4 with a 912 sat for 5 months while I was away recently. I had a hydraulic lock due to oil in the left rear cylinder. New type oil filter and about 10 hours since an oil change. I just assume enough oil siphoned back into the engine to reach the level of the cylinder.

Henry

the newer Rotax oil filters have solved this problem with an anti drain back valve
    I was told (a long time ago) that with the manifold reversed on the older 912's, the Rotax oil filter would not fit. As a result, I've never used one. I'm willing to try now that they have apparently solved the drain back issue. But, will it fit or is it too long and will it therefore hit the exhaust header? There's not much space there.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos