Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Help with a Franklin

Default Help with a Franklin

I have just bought my dream plane. A Kitfox 5 with a Franklin PZL-F 4A235B31 engine. airframe and engine 260hours since new.
    I flew her with my AMO and friend from Johannesburg (South Africa) to East London in 6.3 hours this last weekend.
    We experienced some small power/consumption/mixture issues (I thought through not enough flying in the last 2 years - 20 hours). On going over it now, we see that it has an Ellison throttle body on it. We have taken out a carburettor from a C150 and are in the process of installing it to test. AMO friend hates throttle bodies. Now the original builder was quoting figures of 2300 RPM at 6000ft burning 14 litres per hour. And 2550 RPM at 6000ft burning 24 litres per hour.
    Does anyone think I will get near these figures with the carburettor, or must I stick with fiddling around with the throttle body?
    Was the original builder smoking something to have got these figures?
    Does anyone have any advice that you could give the "fellow in the bush of darkest Africa?"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Help with a Franklin

Good day Rooster... you got an absolute bargain... I was interested in buying her as well. Many happy and safe flying hours to you.
    I cannot comment on the Franklin, although I knew the builder, PH.
    Hope you get sorted - you might want to quote your fuel burn on this forum in gallons?
    Tiaan Hafele

Kitfox Model 3 - Flying, Rotax 618
    Kitfox Model IV - Restoring, Rotax 912 UL

Zero Franklin experience here Rooster. Sorry. Someone will know about your engine.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Smile Re: Help with a Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmofly View Post
    Good day Rooster... you got an absolute bargain... I was interested in buying her as well. Many happy and safe flying hours to you.
    I cannot comment on the Franklin, although I knew the builder, PH.
    Hope you get sorted - you might want to quote your fuel burn on this forum in gallons?
    British or American?

14L = 3.7 gallons American
    24L = 6.2 Gallons American

I spoke with Peter How yesterday.
    Lovely guy who was most helpful and willing to share his knowledge.
    I am sure that I will be talking to him again.
    You are right about the plane! Thanks for the comments.
    A real beauty!

I have quite a lot of experience with the Franklins that were used in several models of the Stinson. These were six cylinder of the 150 and 165 hp variety. As for fuel consumption, the 165 will burn 12 gph pretty consistently.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

There used to be someone in the UK or somewhere producing new Franklins or making parts for them. I'll see if I can find the link. As for the Ellison throttle body, I have one on my Jabiru and love it. It works great, a lot less messing with it than a carb and much better fuel atomization.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Good Day all.
    I have now installed a MarvelSchwebler MP3 from a C150, but still have some setting problems. Until I have saved enough for a Franklin specific MP3, it will have to stay that way. I am still getting 2350 RPM Static at 4000 ft and I am burning 21liters per hour at 2350 Rpm in the air at 4500 ft.
    Can I run this engine on 95 octane unleaded fuel?

Yes, the octane rating is more than adequate and it will be better for the engine than 100 LL (never any stuck exhaust valves).