Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 582 RPM dead range

Default 582 RPM dead range

I have a Kitfox 2 with a 582 in it. The motor was just completely rebuilt, and i finished the plane today. I did the break in on it per Rotax recommendations. Everything was fine, besides finding out that i have a bad EGT probe, and for some reason i have a dead range in my throttle from 4,200-5,200rmp. My main needle valve is set at the 2nd from bottom setting. I took the float bowls off, and the floats seem to be moving freely. I checked the slides in the carbs, and they aren't hanging up at all. It has a slight roughness when i hit 4,200, then it will jump to 5200rpm. It doesn't die out or anything, it just hesitates then jumps 1,000 rpm! I have no idea what could be going on. It doesn't seem to run rough at any other rpm ranges. Any thoughts? Or has anybody else possibly had a similar problem. Im thinking it has to be something simple that I'm just missed! Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Andy

Default Re: 582 RPM dead range

I actually believe i just figured it out. I have my prop pitched way too high. Which is also why i am only going to 6,000rpm at full throttle. Explains my mid range problem. I will be turning the prop back a couple degrees and hopefully unloading the new motor will help.

I would be wondering how accurate your tach is. Maybe someone has a tiny tach you can borrow just to compare. Jim Chuk

If you still have that dead spot after repitching try dropping the needle (raising the clip). A too rich condition in the mid range can cause that symptom.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Hi Andy,

I have the needle clip in second notch too and it works fine. My Prop a GSC 68" is by 18 Degree and I have 6200 rpm during start by WOT.
    My EGT during start at 1000F, travel-configuration at 1150F.
    It burns 13-14 L/hr at this setting.

Which Prop do you use and what pitch do you set?

Olaf