Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912is Sport

Default 912is Sport

This seems to be the engine I have been waiting for. Now if everything falls in place. I will order my Kit

Default Re: 912is Sport

Someday7- Order the kit. It will be a little while before you need the engine anyway and it will only get better between now and then. Hope everything falls into place for you and if it doesn't quite, do it anyway. You won't regret it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I am learning a lot from your new build, thanks I will.

Cool Re: 912is Sport

Look out for the Westlake diesel!?
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Wink Re: 912is Sport

Spelt the name wrong it is weslake

Weslake Services designs and takes to prototype stage aircraft engines, especially diesel-powered engines as used in airships and light aircraft. They are at the leading edge of design and world leaders in this field
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi Dave,
    The Weslake only produces 80hp at the moment though thats the problem I think.So personally I am not convinced it will be a competitive engine in the short term.
    Having said that I am going to Freidrichshafen,Germany on Wednesday in the company of the Weslake guys and Graham Smith (UK Groppo agent) who is getting the first engine so I just may have my opinion changed by the time I get back and then be converted to diesel power!

I have been patiently awaiting for a diesel in the 100-150HP range for many years. Unfotunately the problem I have been seeing is they can't seem to get an engine in this HP range within an acceptible weight. If one can be developed that weighs similar to the gasoline powered engines we fly behind, then it will be very marketable. I know I would be interested, as long as the price is within reason of a similar gasoline engine.
    What ever happened to the Wilsch (sp)? I had read about a couple of planes flying with it and the owners seemed happy, I just don't seem to hear much on this side of the pond.

Wilsch as a company I believe although still in existance has gone through some bad times financially and Mark Wilsch has gone off doing other things. Supposedly though they are now concentrating on developing a larger power 4cylinder diesel but I wouldn't hold your breath for anything anytime soon.