Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Cooling Options

Default Cabin Cooling Options

I hate to rub it in for you guys in the frozen North, but we had 80degree weather yesterday. So that got me to thinkimg about cabin cooling again. Without having to fly with the doors open or off, what are your best cooling apparatuses? Thanks

Default Re: Cabin Cooling Options

Dan,

Well, it was 9 degrees F. up here this morning! Have vents, but they are closed right now.

I fabricated a lever actuated vent - one on the port side of the boot cowl and the other on the starboard side. Vents are about 2" x 3" opening and are located in the high pressure area on the sides of the boot cowl. I have found that these are more than adequate in the summer with OATS 85 F +.

Photos attached. Similar to Van's aircraft cowl vents.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nicely done. I have vista vents at that location. I was thinking of installing another set on my bubble doors? And perhaps another set on the turtledeck? Ive seen pictures of vents installed at these locations. Not sure of their efficiency though.

I designed a kitfox A/C unit ,..it's 10" wide 8" tall and 8" deep,..uses either outside air or computer fan to blow cold air around your shoulder area,..it's been my experience if your head is cool,..the rest of you is fine,..there is a post with a drawing of it somewhere on here,..my last laptop took a nose dive and I lost all the drawings I had

a quick description drawing
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 03-23-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

dave s, I like your vents. I was about to buy naca ducts and eyeball vents but maybe I will save the instrument panel space and do like you did. ken

I have NACA Ducts on the side, they are pretty close to ineffective (AKA Useless) for the “Warm” Texas Weather. This looks like a much better solution for Texas and other planes in “Warmer" climates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Dan,

Well, it was 9 degrees F. up here this morning! Have vents, but they are closed right now.

I fabricated a lever actuated vent - one on the port side of the boot cowl and the other on the starboard side. Vents are about 2" x 3" opening and are located in the high pressure area on the sides of the boot cowl. I have found that these are more than adequate in the summer with OATS 85 F +.

Photos attached. Similar to Van's aircraft cowl vents.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I put Van's aircraft NACA vents in the same location as the photos with the cheap plastic eyeball abutting the NACA vent. Wish I had a picture handy. Used a piece of automotive radiator hose to slip fit them together. A little bit of a stretch for some to reach in flight but doable. No panel space lost. Lots of air comes in. Of course in Georgia summers it is hot air.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Vans Sv-1? Looks like they also sell the rectangular option too

=N981MS;38880]I put Van's aircraft NACA vents in the same location as the photos with the cheap plastic eyeball abutting the NACA vent. Wish I had a picture handy. Used a piece of automotive radiator hose to slip fit them together. A little bit of a stretch for some to reach in flight but doable. No panel space lost. Lots of air comes in. Of course in Georgia summers it is hot air.[/QUOTE]

I installed a NACA duct on each side of the boot cowl and then used 2" ducting tube up to the eyeball vents in the panel. Gives me a good flow of air that is easily directed to head and face area.

looks good War Eagle
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL