Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: UK newbie about to dive in!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: UK newbie about to dive in!

Alan,

Here is my favorite photo of my Kitfox, John McBean ended up having to fly from Homedale Idaho, to Mesquite Texas. The weekends I tried to fly it down, but the weather got bad, and I'd couldn't fly it back. The next time work got in the way, so John recommended that they needed to deliver one to Florida so they could fly them both down, both planes are in the photo. It has been a great plane. I really would recommend doing the Quick Build kits, it should cut a lot of time off of the build.

I check around trying to find a TR6 to rent for the 10 country run, but no one would rent one that left the UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

It looks beautiful Paul.
    What do you find is the ideal or most comfortable cruise speed?
    I usually find that with most planes there is a speed that you can sort of tell that the plane is at its happiest.

Usually fly at 4800 to 5000 RPM, and I'll usually see between 100 to about 105, since I took off my wheel pants. I have cruise with it up to 5400, but it tends to like being under 5200. I'm kind of the seat of the pants pilots, I usually don't even look at the RPMs much less speed, I fly what feels good to me at the time. I'm planning on flying to Oklahoma City later this week, I'll pay closer attention to it, and send you a report.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Gooday Alan, nice post question that has demonstrated one of the great parts about building a Kitfox - the support of these guys - I have never met any of them but know them well and they are all generous with their expertise and advice - I have never waited long for all the advice I have needed when 'stuck' or unsure. And the manual is pretty good. I got my kit in October last year and have just reached the covering stage. Unlike many, I didn't by everything - I am still learning my way into the engine and instrument choices - and they are developing sooo rapidly I am postponing it as long as I can!

So, I have made pretty good progress but now am sitting in Bali - doing a bit of work actually ( I will attach a pic of our house here but that will probably not convince you I am working!) - and will be back into it in about a weeks time. I don't work regularly (not every week, nor 9-5) so I don't use the 'do the little bit every day' approach to it. In fact, that would annoy me - I prefer the 'full immersion' as I like to see substantive progress. However, the approach is obviously a negotiation between personal preferences and logistical practicalities. I don't think you should worry at all about why people don't finish Alan - there is no embedded problem with the design nor the kit that is causing people to slow down or stop. Their reasons will be personal and vary. The real challenge for each of us is make sure the project is capable of full-filling our personal aspirations - if the answer is 'yes', then go for it! life is too short... Look forward to seeing your progress Alan! - I suggest you treat this forum like a bank - make heaps of deposits of your progress and then you will have no problems making a few withdraws when you need them!

Best wishes

Ross
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your thoughts.....I have read and re-read your kit build progress to date many times and it is brilliant. I need you to keep going to fill in all the gaps in my knowledge. So please continue with your excellent progress reports please.
    You are absolutely right, I fully agree this forum is probably the best I have come across for the warm generosity of knowlege and expertise shown...simply a great place to be.

Working in Bali.?...Now c'mon you can't kid me that anyone goes to Bali to work!..

Best Regards,

Alan

Well I went flying today, 4900 RPM Cruise RPM, with speed of 109 MPH
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi Paul,

Sounds like you had a good flight.
    Thanks for the information.

Alan