Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: aileron flutter !!!! help !!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: aileron flutter !!!! help !!!

Mike
    I agree that re checking the weight and balance is a big must.
    My Model 2 flies and lands best when the C of G is near the rear of the envelope.
    Since I do not have a trim tab on the elevator, my Kitfox is only in hands off trim at cruise speeds.
    My stick pressure is so light I am not concerned about being out of trim at other power settings.
    When I had the Jabiru (weighed 25 pounds more than the 532 including bigger battery and cables to start it) I drilled a new hole and moved the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer down to help trim for the added weight over the Rotax 532 even though the C of G was in the envelope but had moved forward.
    After I figured out that reflexing the Flaperons is the wrong way to trim out the added nose weight, I added 4 pounds to the tail to get the C-G moved back.
    To summarize the above from my experience flying the same Kitfox for 19 years with 3 different engines that all weighed within 25 pounds of each other.
    Do not use the flaperons or trim tabs to solve weight and balance/ trim issues; use weight.
    Let us know how it flies.
    Herman
    Last edited by herman pahls; 03-19-2014 at 10:47 PM.