Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 582 cht

Default 582 cht

I have a Kitfox 2 with a 582 Grey head. It is the older 582, the plane was bought to start building in 1992. Is the Cylinder head temperature going to be the same as the Water Temperature on these motors? I don't have a CHT gauge. I only have my water temp and EGT.
    Thanks!

Default Re: 582 cht

Hello AVanlent,

I have the same engine in a kitfox III. You don't need a cylinderhead temperature. Look that your watertemp. is no more than 80 Degree Celsius and everything is fine.
    How much fuel do you need in a hour and what temp is your EGT during flight?

Regards

Olaf

My egt runs around 10, or just shy of. The main reason I'm asking is cuz I just got the motor rebuilt, and the break in instructions say to monitor the cht and not let it get too hot. But I figured if my egt and water temp stayed within range, I would most likely be fine!
    Thanks!
    Andy

Yes, you can't have a to hot cht when water is under 80 degree celsius.

After how many hours do you got the rebuild, did you find abnormalities and which oil do you use, mineral, synthetic or full-synthetic?

What is your fuel burn/performance?

Olaf

I have only put about 10 hours on the plane since I have had it. It has 244 hours on it. I was having a bunch of problems. I had the slosh in my fuel tanks break down, and get into my lines. My carbs were shot, and I was having over heating issues from my Egt's. Since I bought the plane, I have rebuilt everything on it. Replacing the fuel tanks and getting the motor rebuilt were the last 2 things on my list to do. So I just did it to get it done. My pistons n cylinders were 50% worn. And like I said, the carbs were in bad shape. Everything else looked good. From what I know, I was burning 3.5 to 4 gallons an hour. I have also put a better prop on too, so a lot should be changing with all the new stuff! I just didn't want to mess anything up when I do my break in! That's why I was curious about the CHT.

My slosh in tanks were break down too, but I have alu-tanks and I washed the tanks with aceton. After that, they were clean and now I haven't got any problems.

I cleaned my pistons and rings too, before and after that the engine runs fine. You could see the pics in thread "Rotax 582 consumption".

I get a new prob, GSC 68" 3 blade, it works also fine during 18 degree pitch. Climprate by 1000 ft/ min and 13-14L/hr allone.

Olaf
    Last edited by Olle1975; 03-10-2014 at 03:06 AM.