Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Yaw Stability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Yaw Stability

I've heard a lot about Model 1 and 2 neutral yaw stability and the rudder on my model 2 does seem strange compared to Cub, Taylorcraft, etc. Are there any mods to make it handle like a model 3? Just thinking, maybe it's more trouble than it's worth.
    Cheers,
    L

Default Re: Yaw Stability

The I and II are not UNSTABLE in yaw. I believe the term was Yaw-Neutral. This means you need to be actively inputing control into the rudder to keep in coordination. I don't believe the rudder and vertical fin were appreciably changed until the IV-1200 was produced.

Compared to a Cessna or a Cub, this just means you really need to learn to use your feet at all times.

You can enlarge your rudder and fin if you want, but I know of no easy way to do it without welding in tubing and recovering.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here's my model I, adding 10" height to the vertical to match the added model IV rudder, along with a few other mods.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Whoa! You are in fact deeply engaged in some modifications to your bird. With those new tail feathers you could add a 914 upfront and have a rocketship on your hands. Good luck with your project and hope you get back in the air soon.

War Eagle,
    These mods were made to my model I a few years back. I made the mods to the tail feathers to change the yaw issues. The mods corrected it and made the plane a joy to fly. I was just throwing the photo out there to show that the yaw factor of the early models can be addressed. But you are right, at the time, I did make several major modifications.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

As you can see from Steve's photo it is an extensive modification but certainly doable. Steve did an outstanding job and I can testify first hand that it flies as good as it looks.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear