Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Torque check on engine adapter hardware

Default Torque check on engine adapter hardware

ENGINE 912UL ... Model IV-1200

I have triple checked that all of the hardware is installed, and in the correct order, especially the steel bushings that are in the small rubber isolators in the interior of the engine mount adapter arms....

All is well, and all of the larger rubber isolators are inside the adapter cups...

PROBLEM: The Dec 2001 version of the firewall forward says to torque these AN310-6 Castle nuts on the AN6-31 bolts to 190 in-pounds, and I am at only 50 inch pounds and the castle nuts are going past the drilled holes in the bolt!

Any ideas?? Is the torque value correct?
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Default Re: Torque check on engine adapter hardware

190 inch pounds seems awfully tight to me…

I tightened mine until they were good and snug and the rubber was just starting to squish nicely. (Not very technical, I know…)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I went to the specified torque and backed off to align the holes. Make sure you have the later spacers that are .94 inches long.
    Last edited by mr bill; 02-26-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: add spacer length

This is only slightly less than 16 foot lbs of torque (not much). You may need a shorter bolt , or you can use up to three washers under the nut.

Dick b

SUCCESS!!!

Thank you all!

Bill, I just received my firewall forward package from the factory last month, and it did contain the 0.93 bushings... so that is good... all it took was putting another washer, like Dick suggested, under each nut to make it all hit the torque value correctly...

I KNOW that setting the torque is not a linear function, but at 50 pounds I was sooo passing up the castle nuts, I thought 190 was getting out of reach! After adding the additional washer, it was just another twist and I was there.

My response took some time as I had to order some more washers, and all is well now... thanks gents! (Yes, like all of you, I know my UPS Driver by name... I will be invited to his Christmas party this year!! )
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL