Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Type Rotax 582

Default Oil Type Rotax 582

Hello!

I've used the search-function but I can't find a thread about your using of oil in rotax 582.
    I've asked this question in a german forum too and there are many different views of oil types
    (mineral, sythetik, fullsynthetik) for the 582. Which oil do you use and how long did you use it,
    what are your experience of that oil with regard to reliability, condition pistons after 100hrs etc.

Olaf

Default Re: Oil Type Rotax 582

Olaf,
    I'm currently using full synthetic Amsoil HP Marine 2-Stroke Oil. It probably isn't available in your area, but I'm sure there's a similar product. It works great for me with little carbon build-up and no ring sticking over 110 hours. The only problem with full synthetics is they don't provide much protection for storage, so you need to fog your engine if you don't fly often (like the long winter).

Here's a link: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...-2-stroke-oil/
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

My 582 no longer stops more than 2-3 weeks and I use full-synthetik too, but I don't have a long experience. How do you fog your engine?

Olaf

To start with, after each flight I always plug the exhaust with a rubber ball and cover the air filter to keep the engine from "breathing" humid air. Then if it will be a month or more before my next flight, I fog. This period of time may vary based on your judgement about the humidity level in your hangar.

I use an aerosol can of fogging oil with the long plastic tube. If you can put a little bend in the end of the tube it can help direct the flow. I open the throttle fully, extend the tube through the carburetor and spray into the crankcase with the goal of coating the rod bearings on the crank. Then I pull a spark plug on each cylinder and spray around the piston circumference to try to hit the walls and ring area. Rotate the engine one cycle and try to leave it with the rotary valve blocking both cylinders.

If you have a dessicant type spark plug, it might help, but I've never done that.

I hope that helps.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Redline Racing. Best stuff on the planet. Period.

dessicant type spark plug
    What is this?

Redline Racing
    Is very expensive, isn't it? Is it fullsynthetic?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.as...pcid=16http://

Does anybody use the "conservation process", pull choke before stop the engine like the rotax manual?

Anybody checked his pistons and rings by using the mineral-synthtic or fullsynthetic oil - condition?

expensive but cheeper than an engine rebuild. Its synth. with caster. I have been a 2-stroke mechanic for 20+ years. best stuff I have found. But they will tell you not to run in aircraft, but best oil available for rotax, Polaris, artic cat, & Yamaha snowmobiles... lol they don't want the liability hahaha good stuff... you should also be running Evans coolant.

I've been thru this before in this forum but I'll say it again in case some missed it. I owned a CGS Hawk for 15 years with a Rotax 503. I ran Amsoil Dominator racing oil. It's a little pricey and probably overkill but it served me well. I sold it with the new owner understanding that the engine was high time but still ran as good as ever. He flew it for a while before deciding on having it rebuilt, not because of any problems but for peace of mind. The engine was bought new in 1995 with well over 600 hours. All internal parts we as they came from Rotax in 1995. The Hobbs had worked intermittently for a couple of years before I finally replaced it so who knows exactly how many hours it actually had. The seals had never been replaced and it had never been decarboned. A Rotax service center mechanic said all was within spec and looked like a 150 hour engine on the inside. The crank was perfect and was reused. I run Amsoil in my 912 Rotax, my Ford F150 4X4, my 150 Mercury outboard and chain saws, leaf blower, weed eater and probably some other stuff I don't remember. I'm an Amsoil believer and I don't see how any oil could do any better . James Thomas

One example of dessicant plugs:

http://www.skygeek.com/ms27215-2.html
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

For a 582 you'd want to get the 14mm size of dehydrator plugs:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dehydrator-Eng...90X2ZVT9RRM63M
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med