Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Type Rotax 582

Default Re: Oil Type Rotax 582

@ jrthomas:

Thanks for your reply, how often do you fly with this engine, every week or do you have had long breaks about a few weeks or months?
    I can't find a translation about hobbs?

@ Av8r-Sed:

Thanks for the example, I never seen like this before.....

Know we are 4 pilots, whitch fly synthetic oil in our two-stroke engine, it's surprised because in germany many pilots use mineral oil because of "better" conservation. I think, during long breaks mineral oil is better for conservation than synthetic oil, but during fly and for clean pistons and rings, synthetic oil is the better way. Anybody agree?

Does anybody use the "conservation process", pull choke before stop the engine like the rotax manual?

I use this oil:

http://www.castrolmoto.com/de/produc..._racing_2t.php

with this specifications:

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...DE_2011_06.pdf

Hey Olaf. I sold the Hawk, I think, in the summer of 2011. I flew it pretty often but usually for just an hour or so at a time. I too have always heard that petro based oil was better than synthetic at protecting during extended shut down. I'm not so sure if it's really a problem. My bass boat sits for months at a time. The outboard is a 150 HP Mercury outboard which is a V6 2 stroke and it's oil injected. I've owned outboard bass boats for 30 plus years and have never experienced any internal engine problems so I don't believe internal corrosion is much of a problem. Amsoil is good but it's the only synthetic I've had any personal experience with. I'm sure there are other synthetics that are also very good. James Thomas

Mineral oil is better at holding dirt in suspension (not an issue with two cycle engines) and sticking to parts (pistons etc) during extended periods of storage. Synthetic oil has higher shear strength (less metal wear) and can handle higher temperatures. Best seems to be a 50/50 mix of each.

"HOBBS" meter is an hour meter used for tracking time on the airplane/engine.

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hobbs ok, my one is called VDO
    Attached Images Attached Images

VDO and Hobbs are the manufacturers.
    Last edited by mr bill; 03-03-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: hobbs

mr bill
    Re: Oil Type Rotax 582
    VDO and Hobbs are the manufacturers.
    Of course, this was such a joke

Been using AMSOIL for close to 30 years now in heavy equipment, trucks, snowmobiles, Jet skis, motorcycles etc. Never had any issues. Far superior than mineral based oils. When engines were torn down for rebuild there was little to no wear on critical engine components and no sludge buildup. I use amsoil 2 stroke Dominator @ 100:1. I would not be concerned about preservation unless it sits for more than a year. It's expensive but it is the best and it will save you money in the long run with better performance and extended engine life. Remember that synthetic oil is the only oil that can be used in Jet engines.