Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: oil type?

Default oil type?

I spoke to a rotax service dealer tonight after I got off work, about the kind of coolant and oil type he recommended for use in my rotax 912. He said that rotax has changed the types so often, that he started using in his own and recommending HONDA HP4 10-40w oil. He said make sure that it doesn't have Molly in it, the clutch pack wouldn't like the molly in it.
    Has anyone else tried this or another type of oil.

thanks and very curious
    Patrick , Series 6 builder

Default Re: oil type?

I'm sure there's enough opinion on this issue to feed a major food fight better than the one in Animal House, phintz, but most motorcycle oils have all the proper nutrients/lubricants the 912s love and the Rotax folks will tell you the same thing. I've been using Honda GN4, 20w50 motorcycle oil in my 912UL for over 13 years and have a scrupulously clean engine interior to show for it.

Most of us in Arizona run 20w50 because of the high desert air temperatures year round along with a 50/50 mix of our favorite aluminum-engine-grade coolant from the aviation experts at PEP BOYS (red stuff or green stuff doesn't seem to matter) and DISTILLED water. Use only distilled water when mixing with coolant.

I'm sure more of our regular contributors will chime in with their favorites; use what those in your climate zone recommend, but the Honda GN4 has been superb. I'm not familiar with HP4, but it's probably the same stuff with a "New-for-2014" name. I'll no doubt find out at my next oil change!

"E.T."

Everyone I know (3 people) is using the Aeroshell Sport Plus 4.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I use Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 as well. I hope I have 3 Quartz at the airport, I'm doing my annual this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Everyone I know (3 people) is using the Aeroshell Sport Plus 4.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I used to use the Honda oil. It's good stuff. But over the last 3 years I've switched to Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 at the recommendation of Rotax. It seems to be good also. Of course it's important to change your filter whenever you change oil or you really didn't change your oil.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I've been using Mobil 1 Racing 4T.

I also use premixed Dextron coolant from Walmart.

Any of the oils listed will do fine, but be sure to use the Rotax oil filter. The NAPA or whatever else oil filter that fits off a lawn mower is not correct and will bypass almost all of the time negatining the filter completely.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Please be aware.. not all oils are for all applications.. if using 100LL do not use synthetic oils.. Would suggest a semi-synthetic oil so you can run 100ll or Auto fuels. AeroShell Sport +4 was developed specifically for the Rotax 9 series engines running 100ll or Auto Fuels. Prior to that many of us used Honda Pro GN4 with great results. Aeroshell has been in the aviation arena for many years... therefore it will most likely be easy to find when flying cross country (if needed)
    Coolant - 50/50 mix with extended life silicate free and distilled water. We use Havoline Extended life.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I started out using Mobil 1 Racing 4T, which, if my memory serves me is a full synthetic.

Once I got my phase 1 done I switched to Aeroshell Sport Plus 4, a semisynthetic, for all the reasons John M suggested; plus, I have since found a lot of FBOs now carry Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 on their shelves. When a person is out on the road you can't always avoid 100 LL and a semi synthetic can be used with both auto and 100LL.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive