Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Converting from tricycle to taildragger

Default Converting from tricycle to taildragger

If I convert my lite squared from a tricycle to a taildragger do I have to get the FAA to recertify the plane.

Default Re: Converting from tricycle to taildragger

on my registration is doesn't say Trike or Tail dragger unless I missed it somewhere..I just needed a TD endorsement
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

If you want to be sure send an FAA Form 337 to your FSDO upon completion of the work and you should get a response. Generally it seems that a logbook entry should be satisfactory but methods and procedures are somewhat variable from one location to another.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...A_Form_337.pdf

Example:
    I was required to get amended A/W inspection for an engine swap (Jabiru to Rotax) but I know others have done this with only Form 337 and logbook entry. I'm in the Albany, NY FSDO.

It may or may not be considered a major change. Read your operating limitations and they will tell you what you have to do when making a major change. Also, you can contact your local FSDO, but first read the operating limitations that were assigned by the DAR who issued the airworthiness certificate for the airplane. If it is a major change, you will have to go back into phase one flight testing for a certain length of time. One thing to remember, experimental regs. are way different then certified. Much less cumbersome and restricting. Jim Chuk

Trust me, it WILL be considered a major change, as it changes the CG !!!! Roger