Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tall Pilots

Default Tall Pilots

I am considering building the S7 Super Sport, but I have not found much information on how tall pilots feel about its cockpit. I am 6'5" (77") tall and weigh 190 lbs.

Have any tall pilots had to modify the overhead fuselage structure, seats, seat cushions, seating position, rudder pedal assemblies, rudder pedal position in order to accommodate their height? If so, what is your height and what specifically did you have to modify from the plans?

How does the S7 Super Sport feel on long trips?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Default Re: Tall Pilots

Have any tall pilots had to modify the overhead fuselage structure
    never to my knowledge.

seat cushions
    all the time and that is very easy.

seating position
    fixed and not movable. Much structural fuselage tubing in the way to modify the seat position.

pedal assemblies, rudder pedal position
    pedals are already adjustable in the Super Sport 7 model.

Great. I fall in love with the SS7 every time I fly it especially on long cross country trips. Very comfortable.

I think you'd do fine at 6' 5" and only 190 lbs. I've had as tall and 60 lbs. heavier in my model 4. It was tight but doable. The SS 7 would be much roomier. Best would be to sit in one if you can locate one near you or better yet get a flight in one.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DD981788 View Post
    rudder pedal assemblies, rudder pedal position in order to accommodate their height?
    I made a slight mod in mounting the break cylinders (turning them 90 deg) to get a little more leg room (pics in my album). At 6'2" I have plenty of head room and comfortable flying all day.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Regarding head room: I am only 5'10" so there is plenty of room. Because of the spacious head room I had gotton into a habit of not cinching my lap belt down vert tight. A few weeks ago I hit a pocket of quite severe turbulance and actually knocked my head on the overhead skylight. Not too serious, but it taught me to always fly with that belt reasonably tight.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies. My next course of action is to take DesertFox4's advice and try to find an S7 SS owner near-by who would allow me to sit in their aircraft. Thank you again.

I'm 6'4" 240 lbs. Most of my height is in my body. I've got several sets of seat cushions for a KF 5 that vary in thickness and movable rudders. I can tailer the seat (head height) with the cushions and get leg comfort with the adjustable rudders. It's pretty comfortable but with a passenger my size our shoulders touch. Not too different from a lot of certified planes.
    DAT
    Model V
    912 UL - Xtra
    IVO IFA prop

DAT, I've had the same experience in certified planes too (Cessna 150 & 172). Do you think with the moveable rudders my 36" legs would have enough leg room in a S7? Or would I have to modify the pedals even further like Dorsal had to do?

I'd think you'd need to do some modification. Most of my height is in my body (34" inseam) and I have to use a thin back cushion to move me a little further back with the pedals all the way forward to be comfortable. My left knee get close to the panel and touches the door. I have the bubble doors which really helps with width.
    DAT
    Model V
    912 UL - Xtra
    IVO IFA prop