Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door Pull Straps & Flying With Doors Open

Default Re: Door Pull Straps & Flying With Doors Open

I took my doors off one year, ten minutes flying and I couldn't wait to put them
    back on. Noisy, windy, scary, just not for me. Could not get over the open door
    fear factor ... Oddly I have flow in an OH-6 helicopter multiple times with no
    doors and felt no fear ... Maybe it's just cause the Oh-6 makes you fearless ...
    Anyway I don't like my Kitfox without the doors securely closed.

I use the snap vents in the bubble doors, they work very well for inflight
    cooling.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...snapvents4.php

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I have been very reluctant to fly with the door Open, but in Texas during the summer it would be nice. The air vents on my plane are pretty close to useless.

fom april to oct my model 2 doors hung in the hangar,,haven't flown the 5 with doors open yet,..but might take them off this summer
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

One poster mentioned not needing the door pulls. I think I would want to install them because I am installing the standard Lexan door skins on my 7SS, not the bubble doors, so it would be difficult to grab the frame to pull the door shut. It sounds like the straps are not an issue in flight with the doors open, so I will proceed with that, and also make a note to keep the speed down to 80 or below with the doors open. Thanks to everyone for their input.

and also make a note to keep the speed down to 80 or below with the doors open
    Not sure where this 80 mph door open restriction all of a sudden appeared from. I've never read that from Kitfox but if so, I've exceeded that hundreds of times with no concerns.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I use a self imposed 100 mph speed limit with the doors open for no other reason than it is a round number…

At 100 mph, in smooth air, the doors are still stable on my IV.

(No door straps - Not needed in a IV, IMO)
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 02-15-2014 at 09:42 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Dave,

I have a handhold size fabric loop on each middle horizontal door frame cross member (placed towards the front for easy grabbing). Mine has the full coverage clear doors. I sure appreciate those things to make pulling the door closed easier (after opening the left door in flight to take pictures). I don't recall any turbulence problems with the straps. One of the many reasons I have this plane is to be able to open the doors in flight for photos.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

I'm surprised there is an issue flying with the doors open. Yes, it was a change the first time, but with noise canceling headsets, I find it more enjoyable. I fly about 9 months out of the year with the doors open. If I'm traveling cross country, of course I fly with the doors closed and with higher altitude, it's easy to control the cabin temperature. I have the straps mounted in the center of the doors and if flying alone, I can reach both sides in my Speedster. I sometimes use the suggestion made by John about slipping to help close a door. I even have door panels and never once had an issue with them with the doors open. Here's a quick video with them open. I keep my speed a little slower with them open so I don't get any flutter on the doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N-ROTRogEY
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Hey Paul,
    Great vid. Love the SMOKE!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page