Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KF4-1200 is Mine! My NEW Plane! -to me-

Default Re: KF4-1200 is Mine! My NEW Plane! -to me-

I never trailer it. I was thinking you needed to trailer your somewhere.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

haha, ya a little ways, even though you don't use your control lock for trailering they look very nice and would work great in that use as well for sure!

I may have to make myself a set!

the control lock looks good for normal tie down so the wind doesn't get to it.

For gust locks, I use 1" X 4" with foam glued to the inside edges, and bolts on the ends of the 1x4s to hold them togeather. Better to have 2 for the elevator, and one for the rudder. When you are towing the plane backwards, and meet a semi truck on a two lane road, the wing blast will really rock your world. Not sure if I had them on in the pictures I posted earlier in this thread. Jim Chuk

I also tied the flaperons togeather just in case. First Kitfox project I bought had one wing swing out and hit a sign as it was being trailered down the road. Not pretty. At least that was before I got it. Also put foam padding between the flaperons and rudder to keep things from rubbing.
    Last edited by avidflyer; 02-07-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Here's an example of a landscape trailer being used to transport a model 1. This was my 1st Kitfox and it provided me with about 100 hours of very economical flying. I used it to accumulate hours towards CFI.

This rig traveled approximately 1200 miles from NY state to Arkansas. As noted by others in previous threads the big concern with landscape/car hauler type trailers is the stiff suspension transmitting forces to the longeron tubes. I think the most practical way to deal with that is reduced speed when traveling on a rough surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tommg13780 View Post
    Here's an example of a landscape trailer being used to transport a model 1. This was my 1st Kitfox and it provided me with about 100 hours of very economical flying. I used it to accumulate hours towards CFI.

This rig traveled approximately 1200 miles from NY state to Arkansas. As noted by others in previous threads the big concern with landscape/car hauler type trailers is the stiff suspension transmitting forces to the longeron tubes. I think the most practical way to deal with that is reduced speed when traveling on a rough surface.
    That's quite a feat! Good Work!

O.k.! That's great to see. Gives me a lot of confidence that this will go o.k.
    I'm resigned to doing 55-60 and less for 1500 miles back home.

Did you try to let some air out of the tires of the plane?

I assume you have another kitfox now?
    Have you ever trailered it somewhere?

I was the seller on this deal so I'm not sure if the buyer thought to soften up the tires or not. I donated some ratchet straps and helped build the platform for the tail to sit on. One thing that makes the Kitfox travel so well is having the chord of the wings horizontal so it tends to be stable as you get passed by large tractor trailer rigs. If you load it nose forward plan on closing the ends so there's no pressure inside the wing that's trying to make the fabric bulge.

My current Kitfox is a IV Speedster with enclosed trailer that I think is within weeks of going to A/W inspection.

I hope the road trip is going well he should be close to home by now if he was able to leave on Thursday as planned
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Hey Guys,

The trip went very well and the plane is home in my garage. She even got a quick wash yesterday once she came off the trailer. All in all a very successful trip.

Wanted to give a short update and will give lots of details when I have time. Lots of pics to come!

Happy new Kitfox day Rhett.
    Lots of fun headed your way. Enjoy every flight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear