Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 582 Running Issues... Help

Default Re: Rotax 582 Running Issues... Help

Thanks for that link, good info.

The oil filter looks like one of those paper types, so I'm not surprised it's restricting flow, I'll have to get it changed.

The marks must be matched, but I think this isn't the problem.
    Check the fuelpressure between your fuelpump and carbs and you know if there is something wrong about your fuelflow.

Olaf

When you say you checked your pulse line and there is nothing VISIBLY wrong with it, did that include removing the pulse line and inspecting the "INSIDE" of the line or just looking at it as it is installed and calling it good?

JimS

Question Re: Rotax 582 Running Issues... Help

Iburnard,
    Have you made any progress with your engine problems?
    JimS

Hi Jim,

This weekend I'm travelling to another state to do my tail wheel endorsement, as soon as I get back I will take her down the airfield and give her a test run provided it stops raining.

And as far as the pulse line goes, I actually have some of that ridged line that CPS sells and its new, so there shouldn't be any dramas there.

I'm pretty sure the marks match on my oil injection system as well.

Before I take her on another run, I'll install the fuel pump as well...

So, Ill post back in about a week and a half on my progress.

Hi!

change the gaskets and remounted it horizontally as stated from a few different sources.
    Horizontally is the right position but it's more important for fuelmixture like 1:50.

Do you have an instrument to read the fuel pressure, that will be my first step?

What about your EGT, is it balanced or did you see a difference?

If you have a camera, mount it in cockpit before your next start and record your flight. It's easier to evalute your temp., EGT, rpm after flight and you have the possibily to share it with us for locating the mistake.

Olaf

Okay, I finally have my endorsements to fly the Kitfox, I've yet to return home though.

The aircraft I did my conversion on was the Australian Drifter ultralight with a new zero time 582 so I now have an understanding of how the 2-stoke engine normally runs and I also have a lot more confidence behind one.

I did notice a few things...

The oil filter on my engine is correct, but my oil injection system is setup incorrectly, while my marks do line up... they don't line up at the correct position! (lined up at closed throttle, as opposed the idle throttle position 3000rpm).

My engine runs smoother at a lower idle so i'm not particularly concerned with that. I know now where a stock 582s EGTs will sit, and I'm confident I have jetted mine appropriately for the conditions.

• I will be running a electrical fuel pump.
    • I will be replacing my needle jet and jet needles. (never been replaced)
    • I will be replacing my floats. (one set had sunk)
    • I will replace the plugs and leads.
    • Last but not least, I will run a higher octane fuel (95RON) minimum.

I'll post more information after my test flight, I'll also get it on the GoPro so you guys might notice something I dont.

lined up at closed throttle, as opposed the idle throttle position 3000rpm
    Your idle have to set by 2000 rpm and in this position your marks have to line up.

My engine runs smooth only up to 3000 rpm, under 3000 rpm it's shaky.

I recommend to check your fuelpressure between pump and carbs.

Olaf

The CPS Part45 (manual dictates "around 3000 rpm")

The Rotax 582 Installation manual states "At throttle lever idle position the 2 marks must align" Operating Manual states idle speed is "ca. 2000 RPM"

But... one is IDLE POSITION and the other is IDLE SPEED. To me idle position is fully closed.

So, now there needs to be a definition of idle.. is it smooth idle @ 3000 rpm (CPS)... or is it rough idle @ 2000 rpm (Rotax). Or is it full idle / fully closed @ 1800 rpm.

My opinion would generally fall somewhere in between the two figures, if it smooth idles at 2500 rpm, then that's where I'll set it. Either way hopefully it starts lubricating my engine a bit better.

Idle idle idle...

Well, took the Kitfox out to the field this morning and she ran like a dream...

Engine temps good, no missing, I was extremely pleased and I even took my missus for a fly and she was thrilled as well...

Until I was about 30 feet from my house with the aircraft on its trailer, and the rh wing security strut disconnected, the wing opened up into a power pole.

She is now a write off, and I was still in the process of insuring it.

Gone, What a **** week.