Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bent door framework, Fix?

Default Bent door framework, Fix?

My right door sticks out at the back thus leaving a generous air gap (for air to escape). Logic says I should be able to bend the metal frame back into a good fit however I thought I should ask others if this can be done easily or even if it is a good idea? Another solution would be to leave the metal frame alone and mount an extra clasp or door keeper device in the back. Also, what kind of metal is the door frame made of? I am reluctant to manhandle the door too much since it has a huge piece of Lexan riveted to it, which I am afraid of breaking. There are already star-like cracks emanating from a few of the bottom rivets. My goal for the doors is to seal them up to keep the heat inside in cold weather.

Thanks, skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Default Re: Bent door framework, Fix?

My classic 4 door frames are aluminum. Check with a magnet. I bent them quite a bit before the lexan top and bottom were installed by putting the desired spot to bend on my knee and pulling with both hands. Then I bent them a little more to make a tight fit after the lexan was installed.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Just for what it's worth, 90% (my estimation) of draft in the cabin migrates
    forward from the tail, and permeates in through the baggage sack. Door
    sealing will obviously help as well. If I built another I would fabric the
    area where the elevator push-pull tube bushing is thus forming a bulkhead
    of sorts. The slots for the horizontal stab trim are the culprit, acting like
    air scoops.

Regards,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by SWeidemann View Post
    My right door sticks out at the back thus leaving a generous air gap (for air to escape).

One way to determine if the air is coming in from the tail, tape some yarn to the inside of the turtle deck hanging down, either set up a mirror or take someone agile enough to turn and look in the baggage compartment for a flight,
    I had allot of air coming in when i first got my plane, i took a shop light and stuck it into the cowl then looked for light on the firewall from inside the cabin, i found 2 places where light was clming from the engine compartment on the edges of the firewall, i sealed it up, problem solved
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I have the same issue where most of the cold air also comes from the tail, I can feel it blowing in around the seat, stick boot, flap handle etc. The firewall is sealed and I fixed the issue with the seat but I am currently thinking that if I can stop the air from being sucked out through door seals and aft of the but-rib that this should help. I do use a cloth heat wall behind my head that closes off the back of the plane, this helps a lot.
    I also wish I had put a fabric bulkhead in when I had the chance.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I had to install my com antenna not long ago in the tail, i didnt pay too much atention to the tail area, but wonder if its possible to use velcro and a material for a tail bulkhead,

Since i fixed the areas around the firewall, i dont get hardly any air coming in unless i open a window vent
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

if I put a tail bulkhead in down the road,..I might concider putting a compression vent in it so when I swing a door closed I'm not pressurizing the cabin ..something like in the drawing which would let air pressure escape but not let air come in from the tail
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

keep in mind if you make it too air tight in the cabin,..the instruments that require outside pressures would need to be addressed if you don't have a static port
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

The breeze on the back of my neck tells me where it's coming from No need
    for yarn.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    One way to determine if the air is coming in from the tail, tape some yarn to the inside of the turtle deck hanging down, either set up a mirror or take someone agile enough to turn and look in the baggage compartment for a flight,
    I had allot of air coming in when i first got my plane, i took a shop light and stuck it into the cowl then looked for light on the firewall from inside the cabin, i found 2 places where light was clming from the engine compartment on the edges of the firewall, i sealed it up, problem solved

for air to come in from the tail,..there has to be a place in the cabin that is allowing it to come forward,.. think of a bottle,..the tail being the opening,..with air going past the tail.."bottle opening" it would normally create a vacuum creating low pressure inside the bottle,..unless there is a place greater then the tail opening ( in volume) that creates suction pulling air from the tail forward,..a poorly sealed floor pan that meets the firewall could do this,.the area would be larger then the openings on the tail,..which would create a larger vacuum then the tails opened areas,..which would create air flow forward inside even if the inlet was the size of a dime on the tail,,

I've used this example before,,you can make a vacuum cleaner out of a garden hose and an air compressor, its the same principle,.if air is being sucked out from the front of the cabin,..it will suck air in from the tail
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL