Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

I mounted a landing light in the air intake, where I believe I have seen them on a couple of other ones like mine (maybe even factory built?). I made it so it can be removed easily. Any comments or experience with one of these little Micro-Sun LED units in that location as far as blocking some of the air is concerned? I know that some builders have mounted these in a nicely made opening of their own. I thought of that but got too lazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I'm playing with the so-called skylight angle on my 7SS that is bonded to the rear fuselage spar carry-through tube. On page 47 of Section E of my build manual there is a drawing of that angle with the bend on the longer leg conforming nicely with the surface of the fuselage tube. That leg of my angle is long enough to stick down lower than shown so that the bend doesn't touch the tube. I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this. I can deal with it, even making a new angle if I have to, or putting a second bend a little further up in it to get good contact with the tube. My butt ribs are located accurately. Any thoughts would be welcome.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I mounted my MicroSun LED landing light in the same spot you did about 2 years ago. I have noticed no apparent change in cooling of the engine before and after. I say leave it there; nice and simple and easy.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

John, my skylight angle hangs down so that the bend doesn't quite touch the carry-thru tube. Its no problem. The Hysol and skylight screws hold it plenty securely.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ahh... thanks Jim and Lowell! It is so great to have this resource with guys like you both, sharing your experience. I'm glad to get the feedback about the light - I was starting to second guess the decision to put it there. Jim - my angle actually looks exactly like yours. Thank you! The way you cleaned up & sealed off the tail end of the butt rib area looks REALLY nice... about a hundred times better than what I've done there (which is nothing!).
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Been chuggin' away on the Fox since my wife's been doing a little better. I had a nice anodized aluminum data plate made from AeroGraphics in Loveland, Colorado. I didn't take too much time deciding how to attach it securely to the airframe, and decided that instead of clamping a backing plate to the tubing I'd just make an aluminum plate with a "leg" that I bonded to a rib in the tail.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Here's my instrument panel... "old school" steam gauges for an old-fashioned guy, basic VFR. You will notice the A/P, GPS & ADS-B though. I could've had Dynon or pretty much whatever I wanted, but decided from the get-go that I wanted round "real" gauges. I really liked the look of the little 1.25" UMA engine instruments - made in the USA, with "air-core" movements, 270 deg. sweep, etc. I had a ride in a Lear 24 many years ago, and it had an array of instruments that looked very similar to them, and they looked so cool and made an impression on my young mind. I like having all the important (to myself) stuff right in front of me. I had a strong overhead light in my garage, and everything looks pretty glarey in the pictures. The iFly 740 GPS is mounted with a Pro-Clip system tilting mount - comes on & off real easy and gave me a much closer to the panel mount than I could get with a RAM set-up.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I like the Placard “Don’t Do Nuthin’ Dumb”, I need to have a Placard made for my plane!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hey John,

Love the black krinkle finish...that is about as classic as you can get, like classic "steam gauges" (a remark which I resemble)

I have a little reminder, although more subtle than "don't do nuttin dumb" - but it is the same message. When I painted the cowl, I ended up with two little runs in the paint by the oil door that nobody notices but me.....thought about correcting it; but, no...decided to leave it as a reminder that nobody is perfect - see it every time I go to check the oil.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I saw a "Don't Do Nuthin' Dumb!" sign at Oshkosh back in the '70s. I wouldn't want to show it to my old English teacher, but it tickled my fancy and I've had one on the panel of my Thorp T-18 for 26 years. I've occasionally forgotten to pay attention to it, but I'm gonna' try harder with the Kitfox!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime