Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: John's Build

Default Re: John's Build

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I finally got my lift struts done and painted. Not much to do now... just some mods to the turtledeck cover after I mount the wings. Gosh it feels good to see the end approaching.
    John, congratulations on what you've achieved to date. I just went back and looked at your first post on your build thread - dated 12/22/13 - and even at that stage it looks like you'd been building for quite some time before. Thanks for all your posts so far and hope you continue to post when you get flying. Looking forward to some first flight preparation photos and then the same for first flight.

Good job.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hi John and Dave,

Yes, its looking close now John - lovely job. Dave, as you are getting close the covering, you might recall from looking at John's posts a wonderful built in thermometer/thermostat that he constructed on his iron. I can't remember you reviewing how that worked John - but you may have and I missed it! However, I think that good temp control on the iron is really critical for a good finish and the thermostat settings on most irons don't maintain a constant temp but cut in and out over time. I used an infra red thermometer but John's iron looked better!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

John used Oratex fabric, so his iron temps were far more critical to have control of. The Irons that are recommended for the product are over $100. Wish I had Johns talent and creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Hi John and Dave,

Yes, its looking close now John - lovely job. Dave, as you are getting close the covering, you might recall from looking at John's posts a wonderful built in thermometer/thermostat that he constructed on his iron. I can't remember you reviewing how that worked John - but you may have and I missed it! However, I think that good temp control on the iron is really critical for a good finish and the thermostat settings on most irons don't maintain a constant temp but cut in and out over time. I used an infra red thermometer but John's iron looked better!

cheers

r
    Thank you Ross, and Dave. The iron”experiment” was just playing around... I had a little digital temperature control I found on eBay, and also got a cheap “dry” iron (no steam). I used a solid state relay to do the switching. I made some aluminum parts and cobbled it all together. Two things that made it less than ideal were that it was a relatively low-wattage iron, and that it didn’t have a teflon- coated base. I thought the non-stick base was important at the time, but found that the silicone paper from Oratex was easy to use, after I ended up giving the iron to John at Kitfox Aircraft. John had mentioned to me that they had been looking for & thinking about a real accurate iron for some time when I mentioned it to him, so I surprised him and sent it to him. I hoped it might be useful, or that they might at least get a chuckle out of my Rube Goldberg-like “invention”. I ended up buying one of the nice digital Toko ski-waxing irons, and it, along with my small hobby iron and digital heat gun, worked real well.
    Last edited by jrevens; 11-15-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    John used Oratex fabric, so his iron temps were far more critical to have control of. The Irons that are recommended for the product are over $100. Wish I had Johns talent and creativity.
    Thank you Eddie... I appreciate what you and so many others on this forum are doing too. In this vein, have you seen Lowell’s (“Highwing”) recent post on a different thread, with pictures. What a talented and creative guy he is... a true “experimenter” - I wish I had his talent and creativity! I’m very grateful for this website and the people who make it work, encouraging and helping each other.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

I have! I look forward to seeing it up close. I aim to head his direction soon after completion. Nice stuff.
    Eddie

You're right Ross, I'm looking to start covering very soon and was looking for an iron and laser thermometer (Bunnings of course !).

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    The iron”experiment” was just playing around... I had a little digital temperature control I found on eBay, and also got a cheap “dry” iron (no steam). I used a solid state relay to do the switching. I made some aluminum parts and cobbled it all Together ........ I ended up buying one of the nice digital Toko ski-waxing irons, and it, along with my small hobby iron and digital heat gun, worked real well.
    (Abridged)

Thanks John. I had seen your post and pictures of your newfangled invention. I seriously considered building something similar until I saw your comments about the ski-waxing irons. I'm now looking at both options.

So when's first flight John !?. I know there'll be many people on this site excited for you when that happens .... including me. It'll be a good day.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Thank you John for your kind words. I hope you don't mind me becoming a bit misty eyed on your Build Thread. I went through a Psychiatric evaluation this morning in preparation for a possible Cochlear Implant to hopefully help me understand what all you pilots - and the living, breathing FAA guys are mumbling about when you click that push to "talk" button. Lots of questions about support groups, how busy or not a person is - that sort of thing. All to evaluate a persons enthusiasm for life - or Not! This with the extremely varied outcomes of implantation in mind - from a magical Thumbs Up, Or Not.

It got me thinking of what I have found true about of the Kitfox airplane. I often refer to it as a very powerful "Good People Magnet". Then the thought of that day when a friend handed me a copy of the August 1992 Issue of Popular Mechanics. I still have it! Six months later I received that big box on my driveway. And like they say, "The fun began". I would like to give a sincere Thank You to everyone - past, present and future!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

The 912UL prices in that literature really date it! Good luck with everything pertaining to the implants!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Lowell... my most sincere good thoughts, wishes and prayers for a good outcome! How lucky we are to have grown up when we did, and to be able to experience some of the medical miracles that have been developed in our lifetimes. I feel really good about your chances for success!

Nice sentiments about the Kitfox, my friend!

Paul Z. - are you out there? How are you doing?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime