Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

John has his terminology mixed up. I believe he was stating E-LSA, when he was actually meaning Experimental Amature Built, within the LSA rules.

Another reform currently on deck is the Part 23 reform to make it follow ASTM guidelines, similar to the S-LSA rules. This will make his concern about the S-LSA manufacturers moot as well.

If you read the PBOR2 as it sits now, it is a step in the right direction, but the reform has lost a lot of its relief from rules and actually puts in place some new ones that may be difficult to muster. There are concerns that family practitioners will not want to sign off on these 4 year exams due to the liability exposure. I'm not a doctor, but have heard this come up as related to malpractice insurance costs, etc.

Without devolving into the politics of it, I'm actually hoping the current version dies where it is and that the congress will finally pass a long term budget measure for the FAA which contains the original PBOR.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Actually, the list of certified aircraft that are legal for a sport pilot to fly is quite large. Champs, Chiefs, Cubs, Taylorcraft, Luscomb are just some of the ones on the list. Many of the 2 seaters built before or just after WW2 fit the category. Also, anyone can do repair work on an experimental aircraft, although you do have to have a repairman's certificate to do the yearly conditional inspection if you're not an AnP. (this post addresses a couple of points made by Tahoe Tim)Jim Chuk

My point was intended to point out that the weight rating is the key to survival of the current kit companies. Kitfox is in a great place in that aspect.

I also agree that politics have sadly gotten in the way of common sense. Simply raising the light sport weight limit would do the same thing as this bill. I will not support AOPA or EAA fund raising unless they move to practical solution of redefining the existing light sport rules. It's time to reward sport pilots by allowing them more choices in aircraft. Simply raising the weight limit to a modest 2000 lb and the stall a few mph would up a LOT of aircraft. At some point we have to decide if we want to be stubborn and die a slow death or try to get more people flying and then fight for their business by offering an aircraft more attractive than a Cessna 150 or an Archer. I have faith that the kit designers can come up with some sweet kits if they were allowed to work with a 2000 lb gross.

PBOR2 is only out there because the FAA refused to act on PBOR1 that was passed as law. It's corrupt.

Maybe when tbe Constitutional Convention occurs (we're getting closer by tbe day...), we can just abolish the FAA altogether along with the rest of this screwed up government. That would solve all of our issues.

Oh, and for the record, Avid and Kitfox were going gangbusters in the 80's and 90's, long before Light Sport was even conceptualized. So I don't really think it will have much impact on Kitfox. If anything, it might open a new door for a larger and even more capable Kitfox?

Agreed.

We need to focus on getting more pilots into any GA aircraft, glider, PPC, gyro,etc

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    John has his terminology mixed up. I believe he was stating E-LSA, when he was actually meaning Experimental Amature Built, within the LSA rules.
    You are correct. I had the terminology confuselated. I did mean to say E-AB.

Thanks.
    John P

For those folks intending to do medical certification through BasicMed, I found out today that the Mayo Clinic is also providing a required self assessment on-line training course. Looks like there will be two entities doing this now - AOPA and Mayo.

From what I can tell while they are both free of charge for the course, AOPA is open to anyone at anytime; and, Mayo will require that a person has had their once every 4 years exam with their personal physician completed first. I also expect the course each entity is providing, while covering the required areas for self assessment, will likely not be worded identically.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN