Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Default Re: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yeah, now they slipped a mandatory doctor visit and signed form back into the bill so by the time it gets voted on it will be worse than the third class medical.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    Yeah, now they slipped a mandatory doctor visit and signed form back into the bill so by the time it gets voted on it will be worse than the third class medical.
    I can work with that. I always thought it was absurd to have the faa making medical based decisions about people when they've never even met them.

Full Senate has passed PBOR2.

AOPA

EAA
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

How long before it gets a House vote?

I am now wondering what the result of this law will be:

- current LSA aircraft suffers a drop in value?
    or
    - all other non LSA aircraft on market due to lost medicals rise in value?
    or
    - a little of both?

I'm tempted to go buy a Piper or a Cessna and sit on it for a few weeks but I'm not sure which way values will go. I did sell my light sport a couple of weeks ago to cover my belief that light sports will drop.

The good news is that we will all be able to rate our SS7's to 1500lbs.

The light sport market may soften somewhat, but this rule does not change the expense of owning and operating antique, legacy certificated aircraft. LS certificated pilots will still only fly LSA aircraft. People out of the 10 year medical window may not wish to go through the effort of getting their medical renewed, staying within LS rules needing LSA craft.

This may do a lot to snap the LSA industry back to its intent of being affordable. Much unlike the carbon cub, icon, $250,000 boondoggle it has devolved into.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I see it differently. Many pilots who are 40+ and are encountering 3rd class medical issues will probably move back to a certified plane. A large share of pilots do not build planes and do not work on them. When the choice is between a $100k light sport and and used certified plane, they will see the advantage of a nice 4 place $30k plane with $400 annuals. The depressed used certified market will bounce back and the used LSA market will suffer. The kitfox is a unique plane and should not be affected much because it beats out it's certified STOL counterparts in cost and performance.

Speaking to old airplanes, I am hunting for a 70 year old Ercoupe to replace the LSA is just sold. Why? Because I want one. A big part of being a frequent flyer is enjoying your plane and wanting to fly it often.

I do agree that this will wake up the new LSA market. They will now compete with new certified planes again. Their marketing play that a medical is not needed has disappeared.

Sent a message to my Rep this morning. Pretty much a carefully worded demand to get on board. Well see...
    Lou
    KitFox II

Ah, although this isn't my issue, I think you will see a lot of constant speed props sold and 1550# gear for the Kitfox. There are a lot of very capable LSA's that are limiting their performance due to the rules.

A Cherokee is always going to be as sexy as a Cherokee gets. 172's will have the same demand as always. LSA's pretty fly the same speeds as those planes anyway and burn a lot more fuel. It'll be the guys that want 4 seats and if you want 4 seats you probably need 6 to take 4 and bags.

Maybe kit prices will come down? LOL!