Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Default Re: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

1. Does the new proposal change anything for the Sport Pilot certificate holder? (a simple yes or no works for me)
    No - but this forum requires me to enter at least 10 characters per post

As I understand it the proposal will change nothing with light sport certificate holders.

I did however have a concern as to what it would do to the light sport market. It seems to me that if a medical was not needed for heavier aircraft then it would devalue light sport aircraft since I'm sure many people would rather be flying a 172 or similar.

Now that I am seeing amended language about needing a 1-time medical if not had within the last 10-years I think that many will still gravitate towards light sport.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Freinds, it will be difficult to discuss this topic and still refrain from topping our political soapboxs. Lets give it our best efforts. I'm interested more in how it will affect our members.
    Regaining liberties is always a daunting task but this one I am in for the duration. Our pursuit of happiness now and in the future depends
    on our joint effort to push as much of the original Pilots Bill of Rights 2 through to the end zone as we can. Once the seed germinates and has roots, then maybe we can prune it more to our liking. The game may be rigged but to sit on the sidelines and not take the field is to relinquish all chances of getting on the scoreboard.
    Keep the pressure applied to the tenderest of spots team.
    Well said, Steve. I couldn't agree more with your thoughts.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

On the other hand, it will increase the value of certain light sport planes like the SS7 because it benefits from a free upgrade to 1500 lbs rating and certain light sports that zoom past the 120 speed limit. It also brings in some cool stuff like biplanes and long ez. The LSA market will be fine as they have proven to be talented designers. 4 place stretch Kitfox anyone?

My cynical side hates the whole process due to the continual hand out for lobbying money from AOPA. Why does every bill in Congress need lobbyist cash? No need to answer that question

IMO, I'd rather we get 90% of what we were looking for than be bull headed and get 0%.

I can live with the 10 year thing.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Tim,
    I'm a little confused. Can you direct me to where you read about a increase to 1500 pounds and "certain light sport airplanes"? What I have read is there are no changes to Light Sport certificate requirements.

Lou
    Lou
    KitFox II

I was referring to those of us that would upgrade our license to PP. Why wouldn't most sport pilots upgrade? The point of the bill is to allow PP the same driver's license medical as sport pilots enjoy. The fear of the demise of sport pilot aircraft is not in danger for the reasons I outlined, IMHO.

If you are planning on staying in SP, then the bill offers no benefit.

I'm a lot confused, but that is just normal. I have a Private Pilot, but I fly as a Sport Pilot since my plane is a Kitfox SLSA. I don't see a need for the medical, much less want to pay for the physical. It would be nice if they used the weight to 1500 lbs.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

the whole point of the bill is to remove the medical requirement for third class medical with a few restrictions:

A pilot looking to fly without a third-class medical certification may do so only under limited conditions. No more than five passengers are allowed on qualifying flights. The individual may operate under either visual flight rules or instrument flight rules, but may not exceed an altitude of 14,000 feet above mean sea level and may not exceed an indicated airspeed of 250 knots. “Covered aircraft” under the proposed Act are defined as aircraft that are not authorized under Federal law to carry more than 6 occupants, and, have a maximum certified takeoff weight of not more than 6000 pounds.

google the topic...or go to the first post of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    I was referring to those of us that would upgrade our license to PP. Why wouldn't most sport pilots upgrade?
    Thanks for the clarification. As I understand it, upgrading from SP to PP would require a "base line" physical. I have no idea how the required hours would be handled. I would believe the FAA, as I understand the beheamoth, would somehow not use the hours flown as SP.

Lou
    Last edited by KFfan; 10-04-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    Lou
    KitFox II