Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Headsets

Default Re: Headsets

I have Zulu's and they are great! However after trying them, I'm now in love with the Halo in ear setup. It's cheaper, much lighter than any headset, passive with no batteries or plane power. I tried one back to back with my zulu's and they were remarkably close in terms of quiet and noise blocking along with stereo sound form both.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Couple years ago I tried Bose, Seinheiser, and Zulu. Seinheiser won hands down for me. Especially the foam pockets for sunglass wearing comfort. However, any customer support with Bose I have had is A1 which makes me lean there...

Warning thread drift:
    These clip on sun glasses work great. I keep the hat in the plane and no headset squeeze on the side of the noggin. Doesn't help with prescription glasses of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunglasses-Att.../dp/B00COTNA8Y
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

I have the Zulu 2 and love it. I still have sennheiser passive and they are good but the Zulu is much more comfortable.Spruce has both Bose and Zulu refurbished models for about half of the new cost.

I fly with a David Clark passive headset and am okay with it.

If I were to pony up the coin for an ANR headset, I wouldn't settle for anything less than the Bose. My plane came with a Zulu ANR headset. I traded it for a spare DC passive set. The Zulu was total plastic junk. Huge cups that were bulky and uncomfortable and the passive DCs were quieter to me.

I've tried the QC-15 with the U-FlyMike. As a second choice (for half the price) that would be a good one, IMO.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have both...the Lightspeed Zulus, and the Bose A20. I really can't say which one is better. I prefer the Zulu's, and they are always my first choice. My son always chooses the Zulu's when he's flying the Kitfox, but usually chooses the A20s when he's flying the Cirrus.

They are both great headsets. We also have numerous sets of DC PNRs.... Good headsets, just kinda loud!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

My buddy bought the Bose A20's and I was excited to try them. When I did, I found my old Lightspeed QFR-XCc's were quieter than the Bose. I haven't tried the Lightspeed Zulu yet but want to. What I found was it depends on your individual plane and your ears as to which works best for you. I think each person just has to try a headset in your plane for awhile to see how it works for you.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I got a set of "Zulus" a couple years ago, courtesy of Uncle Sam, for my professional, day-job, flying. Having received them on a Friday, I looked forward to using them during the following week's "gummamint bidness" flight, but opted to try them out early with a little spin around the local desert in my Model IV Speedster come Saturday.

The next morning, after strapping in, I started up and then then donned the headset, which is my usual habit, so as to fully monitor engine start. After activating the ANR function, I went into an immediate panic mode: My engine quit!!

Ahh...wait a minute...the prop was still propping and the the gauges were still gauging, so...***? It then occurred to me to remove the headset and...WA-LAA! Alas klar!

I then turned the ANR off so I could properly monitor ALL engine and airframe inputs until I was safely airborne and out from under the needs of yacking with tower, re-engaged the ANR and spent the next hour in the quietest GA aircraft I'd ever flown! Just awesome!

"E.T."

Thanks for the response from so many. I think either will work for me however I may wait till I can try both sets out at Oshkosh 2014. It is an investment and I want to be sure I make the right choice

That's probably the best idea yet.

You'll be able to see what works for YOU.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos