Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model IV Rudder Pedals

Default Re: Model IV Rudder Pedals

Greg,
    Yes, the picture I posted shows that the "attachment point arm" that the rudder cables and the springs anchoring them to the firewall ARE part of the reinforcing kit plates. This is the part that appears to have broken in your pictures, so it is addressed by this kit. (Obviously, there is NO internal tubing added at this point, like there is to the torque tubes.) The factory reinforcing plates are molded to fit the curve of the tubes; are stout pieces of steel, and should be a proper strength addition.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

For anyone questioning the need to reinforce their rudder pedals - DON'T QUESTION IT. JUST DO IT!

I say this based on my experience with a rudder pedal failure once.

My story goes; I once had a stainless nicopress fitting slip off of a rudder pedal cable (stainless requires a special tool to crimp) while test flying a friends' recently purchased Avid Flyer. It happened just as I was starting my takeoff run, and then just as I was about to rotate, a severe crosswind gust forced my instantaneous reaction to apply right rudder. I heard a loud bang from the rudder pedal hitting the firewall, quickly realizing that I had lost my rudder. The next 5 or 10 seconds was more than exciting as I heard the tires screeching across the pavement in a full sideways skid as I was headed for a runway light. But I got really lucky as I had just enough speed to have enough elevator effectiveness left to allow me to "Hop" over the light, and enough aileron to keep the wing from diving into the dirt and pavement as I did the tightest ground loop in the dirt I have ever seen. Amazingly, the only damage to the Avid was dirt being packed into the open end of the open flaperon tube. Whew!

After I gathered my senses, I really thought about what would have happened had I actually flew away rather than pulling the power. Anyone that has ever flown an early Kitfox, or an Avid knows that all of these airplanes have an incredible amount of adverse yaw. Thinking about that more, I realized I was EXTREMELY lucky not have have flown away after that nicopress failed. I've been flying these little planes since 1986, but I doubt I could have gotten that plane back on the ground in one piece without rudder. The adverse yaw would just be too severe to fly even around the pattern in my opinion. I don't believe you could control the airplane without rudder control. At best you would have to land in an incredible side slip, which would be interesting to say the least.

Even though my situation was not caused by a broken rudder pedal, a failed rudder pedal would likely be just as bad. SO guys and gals, if you don't have reinforced rudder pedals, REINFORCE THEM. You never know when that day comes that you have to stomp on that rudder pedal, and the pedal fails. Unless the big guy is really looking out for you, it is likely to ruin your day... so be proactive and install the kit. It's a lot easier and less expensive than fixing your entire airplane.

In all fairness to the inspector, the inspection was done in Aug. then the new owner took TG lessons in it . He probablely broke the pedal early in his traing and then was not able to control after so sold plane. The break has no rust.

I think the rudder pedal torque tube gets over stressed when someone presses on both break pedals hard...like when doing a run up.

I had a welder put gussets on the horizontal to vertical tube junction and straps around the cable arms to vertical tubes. Now having seen the reinforcing kit and explanation shown above by GW, if I had it to do again, I would get that kit.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Tom,
    Excellent point on how they may get broken... also, to add to your list of causes, how about when you find that you are slumping down in the seat, and then push yourself back up, by bracing your feet against the rudder pedals?

I remember catching myself doing that in my Cessna 172, and saying never to do that again!!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

can you post a picture of the torque tube upgrade
    from kitfox

thank's

Dave

Post #9 this thread.

The braces on the factory reinforced pedals look similar, but are welded in place. Pop rivets would not seem strong enough, but if the factory says so, it must be so. Were they also bonded?
    Last edited by mr bill; 12-13-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Yes, the directions have you applying the HYSOL 9460 to all contact places, including INSIDE the torque tubes where the inserts are placed. Where possible, the metal is preped by taking it to bare metal, and cleaning these places with something like Poly Fiber C-2200 metal cleaner.

Here comes the run-on sentence:
    The Outside Triangular Plates (seen in the picture) on the torque tubes are riveted through these plates, through the torque tube, and through the inserted tubes inside the torque tube to sandwich/connect them "all into one unit."

The rudder connection arms are also bedded in HYSOL, while being riveted.

The final product sure appears to be "beefed up."
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL