Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap ELT for new plane Ok, or need $$$ ???

Default Cheap ELT for new plane Ok, or need $$$ ???

Howdy all;
    I need to get a ELT from my model -4, which will be flown light sport. You can still get the AMERI-KING AK-450 ELTs, complete for less than $200 at spruce, but it uses the older 121 mhz frequency band.

If I buy this one, will I just have to upgrade to the high dollar 406 mhz to get it registered, or in a few years anyway?

Let me know, thanks
    Roger

Default Re: Cheap ELT for new plane Ok, or need $$$ ???

I have heard rumblings that the 406mhz ELT is going to have another replacement in Canada soon...

There are several considerations here:

1. The oldest 121.5 ELT's (gen 1) are not digital and had/have an activation rate in only 25% of crashes. Hence the change to a the newer (still non-digital) 121.5's (gen 2) and that went up to 73%

2. The newest 406 ELT's (gen 3) are all digital and the activation rate is now over 80%. The 406's are the only ones satellite, ground and rescue aircraft monitored.

3. The 121.5's have not been satellite monitored since 2009, so your only hope of rescue would be from a close enough ground based receiver such as at an airport that has a receiver, ATC or a close enough flyover from a rescue aircraft that has one. I do not know what the transmitter range is on these.

4. The FCC has proposed banning the 121.5's but that has not been ruled on yet. Could be done next year - it has been drafted. The big question with that is - will the 121.5's be grandfathered in on existing installs? No clear clues on their opinion on that part.

I know what my choice would be.

Greg

Roger,

I wrestled with this decision when our plane was certified in 2008.......The conclusion I came to was based on the same thought as Greg's....I want it to do something worthwhile if needed...also.....for what it is worth....about 15 hours of fuel for the kitfox pays for the difference in price of the 409 compared to the fuel hungry avgas burner I used to fly

The 121.5's are legal; but, aren't worth much more than that......some are ok with that....

In addition to what has already been said, the 406 nails down the position with considerably more accuracy than the 121.5's.....when you register the 406 you have several choices as to who you want contacted and their contact information.

Another point worth considering......installation. 1) There have been cases of the 406 not being secured properly and busting off the antenna cable......the 406's tend to have a bit more mass and need to be mounted so they don't come loose. 2) There is some logic to considering how the antenna will be mounted.....I had a couple discussions with DARs and EAA Tech Counselors..... those parties said with a tube an fabric aircraft - consider mounting the antenna inside the fuselage........if you really do need it...you will either be on your back in the swamp or on your bottom.......if the antenna is on the outside (top or bottom) there is about half a chance the antenna will get busted off or buried in the mud and be essentially worthless no matter how well the transmitter works

Sincerely,

Dave S

Well this is good input, but the old 121 mhz frequency band units can be had for less than $200 new, and complete, on the web. Anyone know of what the cheapest 406 Mhz units can be had for, complete with antenna, and hopefully with user replaceable batteries like my old unit?
    Roger

If Canada is going to replace/ upgrade from the 406 to ? I am going to research the dates and if its before the US goes to 406,... I'd get the 121.5 for now and wait on a deal

Just a thought
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Roger,

Have you thought about getting a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)?

We carry one in our aircraft in addition to the regular ELT. We can activate both if we ever go down somewhere.

Most aircraft supply houses carry them. Might be a option for you to look at.

Bob

PLB's do not meet FAA requirements for aircraft ELT (as stand alone).

406's are the current US standard - 121.5's are only ground based covered - if your transmitter reaches a station.

406's are satellite based and transmit at 5 watts giving an accuracy of 1 to 3 nautical miles and if interfaced with your aircraft GPS down to 100 yards.

121.5's transmit at 0.1 watts giving an accuracy of 12-15 nautical miles (if it reaches a receiver) - no GPS interface available.

406's can be had for about $600 (complete) give or take a little. They have been around there for some time. I don't see them getting discounted any time soon. So even if you do some day find one for 1/3rd off and you bought an older one now for $200 (that may or may not work) - it would still be a wash. Just deferring the $400 to down the road.

Personally, I would not fly without a 406 - remember I'm in the wild Rocky Mtn. west where you can easily get lost on the ground! Your conditions and risk tolerance may differ.

Greg

I'm using a 121.5 ELT but also carry a SPOT Tracker and have the tracking on anytime I'm flying. I'm sure I'll eventually go to the 406 ELT when the right deal comes along......or whatever the next best thing is.

My ELT antenna is mounted inside the fuselage as well.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Mike and Greg;
    Well first I should point out that I am in Lawrence Kansas, whereas the highest thing around are corn stalks, and right now, they are all 6" tall after the harvest, so getting lost in high terrain is not too likely for me. However, I did have a forced landing in a bean field, so I guess I should take the 406 options seriously, in case lightning does strike again.

And Mike, we would love to have your way-cool Jabiru Kitfox fly into our Topeka EAA club meeting sometime, so far I am the only Kitfox guy in our club, but another fellow has a club clone, so that's two tube and fabric jobs in our group. I also use the Ellison on my Porsche 914 install, but the -3 version (yet to start up, the prop just showed up).
    Roger