Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap ELT for new plane Ok, or need $$$ ???

Default Re: Cheap ELT for new plane Ok, or need $$$ ???

The Ameri-King 406 ELT (non GPS) - drop in 121.5 replacement - unit can be had for $600 or less.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The last I heard about 121.5/406 ELT's was that CAP search aircraft are still equipped with 121.5 direction finders. ACK markets the E-04 model
    which transmits on 121.5 and 406 so it is a more complete unit to aid in
    rescue. It also has provision for a GPS lat/lon input.

Dave, I thought 121.5 was still legal in Canada? is this a recent change?

From the interwebs dated 2012
    "It continues to be legal to fly private aircraft in Canada with a 121.5 ELT. And a recent edition of the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association newsletter reports that changes to the rules aren't likely in the near future."

I know that for me if I were flying over any type of wilderness I would not use 121.5, as it is I don't but will still change over one of these days.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    If Canada is going to replace/ upgrade from the 406

I'm not sure what they will change to. The regional COPA direct told me there are rumblings for change to something new again in the upcoming years. I have no idea why or what, just what I heard.

I went through this during my recent completion and got help from an unexpected source. A friend heavily into motorcycles and off road ATV riding was here one day. I posed the question to him. His answer - relating to helmet requirements also required by law, but a good metaphor. "You don't want to be in the ambulance on the way to the hospital wishing you had bought the more expensive helmet". I bit the bullet and bought the 406.

Essentially you are either motivated by simply complying with a law, or Making an investment in significantly more protection.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I don't think there will be a change anywhere, anytime soon from the 406 frequency. 406 is the international standard - all of the COSPAS-SARSAT satellites are equipped for 406.

Maybe there's confusion with the known change to MEOSAR (medium earth orbiting satellites) still are/will be at 406 though. Those satellites will make the beacon recognition almost instantaneous.

As an aside, the marine versions (EPIRB's) were phased out of 121.5 starting in 2003 and banned in 2007 (in the US of A). All the marine users had to switch over then (when 406's cost upwards of $1500 each). We can thank the AOPA for lobbying to keep the 121.5 ELT's up until now. But the forced change, phase out will be coming our way!

Greg

Highwing - I like the metaphor and you are 100% correct.

Here's another analogy:

Cell Phones.jpg

The cell phone was invented in 1973, the same year 121.5 SAR was implemented. 121.5 SAR became widely used in 1982 (or 1983) when they went satellite based. Satellite based discontinued in 2009 though.

Would you rather spend $200 on a 1973 cell phone (in a shiny new 2013 case though), that might work somewhere, sometime? Or would you pop for the 2013 cell phone at $600? If these were your only 2 choices and you were required to have one of them on you at all times - for emergency calls only.

Greg

I'm upgrading to the 406 eventually but since I have a 121.5 and an indian blanket with matches and a cord of wood in the baggage compartment,..ha ha just kidding ..it's not a full cord ..only a rank lol
    eventually time will run out on the 121.5 ..let's hope the 406's come down a bit,,but I'm thinking the closer it gets to dead line ,,cost might go up?
    either way..it's a must
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I really don't think costs will go up. When the same happened to EPIRB's the cost dropped and helped the cost of 406 ELT's to drop too. I think each of the manufacturers will want their piece of the pie, so competitively, I'd bet lower prices (not by much though).

Greg

Thats good to know, my AK450 is still listed as approved in Canada, still hope to fly up there some day. I have been looking at the E.L.T 406 on AircraftSpruce, seems the way to go with built in GPS (though apparently not approved in Canada yet).
    Last edited by Dorsal; 12-07-2013 at 06:19 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive