Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Repairman certificate?

Default Repairman certificate?

I have the repairman certificate on the Kitfox I fly since I built it.
    If I buy a damaged Kitfox am I legally able to do the major repair and have the work signed off by an A&P or does it need to be an A&I.
    Or does an A&P have to do the repairs since I would not have the repairman certificate?
    Is this a gray area?
    I assume that if I totally rebuilt the aircraft and completed 51% of the construction I could qualify for the repairman certificate but would need to fly off the 40 hours.

Thanks for considering my questions.
    The answers will determine if I will consider buying a previously flying project.
    Herman

Default Re: Repairman certificate?

You can do any maintenance or modifications to an Experimental certificated plane that you do not have the repairman's certificate for.

You will need to have an A&P sign off the annual condition inspection every year.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

AV8r is correct!
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying

This subject has me in a quandary. I built my own engine mount, installed a new engine, about the same weight and HP as the original. All new wiring, New panel, new landing gear. I checked with a couple DAR's and the FAR. What they said is that all I need to do is a log book entry and phase one testing. I cannot find anything in the FAR that is in conflict with this. I know I have to do the phase one testing but my question is, how much and do I have to get a new A/W certificate? The A/W certificate is 'unlimited'.

Once an airworthiness certificate is issued it stays with the airframe until the airframe is deregistered (destroyed).

If they told you phase one, I would consider that to be 40 hours for a non-certified style engine and mounting system.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Herman,
    I would check this out with your local FSDO. As I understand it, we can do anything on our amateur built airplane, but need a certificate number when we sign off an Annual Condition Inspection. However there are some things we can do that are considered Major Modifications - such things as a new engine, etc. In that case it triggers a phase one test period which to my understanding is five hours after which it is signed off. I don't know if you can sign it off or if it needs the holder of the original Repairman Certificate or an A&P.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Changing the engine is a major change/modification. Take a look at your operating limitation papers that you are supposed to carry in your plane and they will tell you that you have to notify the FAA. If the airworthiness cert is old enough (before 1991 I think) the FAA may have to inspect the aircraft. They had to do that with one of my Avids when I changed from the 532 to a 582 Rotax. Othere than the wait, it wasn't that big a deal. But.... read your operating limitations (they were issued by the DAR when the plane was first inspected and given an airworthiness cert. Jim Chuk