Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Radiator/Cooler Mods

Default Winter Radiator/Cooler Mods

I know I could figure this out myself by trial and error, but hey why reinvent the wheel.
    I fly in the Portland, OR area where winter temperatures rarely get below 25F and are usually in the low 40's. My SS7 has the 912ULS with the standard kit radiator and oil cooler sandwiched in front of the radiator. I do have the optional oil cooler thermostat, but no radiator thermostat.

My question is: about how much of the radiator surface should I tape off? Also should I tape off part of the oil cooler, or leave it alone because it has a thermostat?

Jim

Default Re: Winter Radiator/Cooler Mods

Jim,
    I have the same set up as you and fly in slightly colder temps. I close off the radiator up to the edge of the oil cooler, seems to work fairly well though still runs a little cool and very cold days. I may try closing it out over the oil cooler as well and see what happens. Winterizing my ship is this weekends project (too windy to fly)
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

have the highwing thermostat for the coolant system, works very well. use 1 piece of duct tape on the oil cooler when temp gets below 50 degrees.

You may want to check this out also. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=7132

I use a thermobob coolant thermostat to maintain 180F in any temps that I fly. Also tape about half the oil cooler when cooler than 10C
    Installing the coolant thermostat seems to help with oil temps. Certainly faster warmups.
    Cheers
    Don
    Vixen 912UL IVO IFA

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi ,
    I also use the thermobob on the coolant.
    I like that it has a dedicated bypass line.

I have an oil thermostat, but still end up taping the oil cooler completely off when its cold -15 C .
    The oil cooler is up front under the prop/gearbox so its easy to adjust the amount of tape , the first winter I kept records of temp and amount of tape required
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

The only thing that concerns me with the coolant thermostat is that it would restrict flow to my heater as well (at least as I understand the setup).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I completely tape off my oil cooler for winter... And I block off about 2/3 of the coolant radiator. Flew yesterday at -20C (-4F). Oil stayed at 190-200F, and coolant stayed at 165-175F. I use an exhaust muff heater which works quite well. I wear a jacket, but I'm very comfortable down to approx -25C.
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    Hi ,
    I also use the thermobob on the coolant.
    I like that it has a dedicated bypass line.
    Curioius about the bypass line. Why do you feel it is necessary.
    Last edited by HighWing; 11-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Regarding the flow to the cabin heater. I notice no difference except now with
    the thermostat the heater gets a uniform flow of coolant at 180F or better. Also I found taping the rad a very inexact science if temps changed due to altitude or location.

I suppose the bypass line would act as an emergency route should the thermostat ever jam in the closed position. Also it would provide a constant flow of warmish coolant and eliminate drastic temperature changes as the thermostat opens and closes. Just a thought.

Good luck to all you ravid SASKATCHEWAN RIDER vans today. Those frozen green watermelon helmets are very cool!

Cheers
    Don Hudgeon