Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox IV prebuy ques?

Default Kitfox IV prebuy ques?

Hi guys,

I have an opportunity to buy an uncompleted IV. It has a zero time 912 Rotax but I do not yet know which it is. The airframe is done but it is not yet wired or plumbed for instruments/radios. It has been sitting for at least 5 years. I have not yet seen either the a/c or it's logs.

I have NO experience with amateur built a/c but I am a 35 yr A&P/IA.

1. What must I look for in any build log or records?

2. Are there stage inspections that must be documented in that log?

3. Can I pick up where the builder left off or does the build have to be re-inspected by whoever? Me (A&P/IA) or DAR?

4. Are there any more recent modifications that are REALLY necessary that might not have been included when this a/c was assembled?

5. Pre-buy tips?

I don't even know what I don't know so can sure use your collective expertise!

Many thanks,
    jon

Default Re: Kitfox IV prebuy ques?

My answers below are based on my experience, each builders seems to be a little different. Which airport do you fly out of?

Quote Originally Posted by jonstark View Post
    Hi guys,

I have an opportunity to buy an uncompleted IV. It has a zero time 912 Rotax but I do not yet know which it is. The airframe is done but it is not yet wired or plumbed for instruments/radios. It has been sitting for at least 5 years. I have not yet seen either the a/c or it's logs.

I have NO experience with amateur built a/c but I am a 35 yr A&P/IA.
    This should put you ahead of most

1. What must I look for in any build log or records?

2. Are there stage inspections that must be documented in that log?
    The only inspection I had was airworthiness though a pre-cover inspection was recommended after the fact

3. Can I pick up where the builder left off or does the build have to be re-inspected by whoever? Me (A&P/IA) or DAR? Yes and no

4. Are there any more recent modifications that are REALLY necessary that might not have been included when this a/c was assembled?

5. Pre-buy tips?

I don't even know what I don't know so can sure use your collective expertise!

Many thanks,
    jon
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Spent the day at an IA seminar. Got a few of my certification questions answered.

Am hoping that a lot of my remaining concerns can be answered when I review the build log and compare it to the Safety Bulletin list.

I fly a Cessna 180 out of Turners Falls.

jon

Jon,
    I built two Model IVs. The first from a factory new Kit - 1993. I did have the typically recommended pre-cover inspection for the building log entry. And a note about that. My opinion for the advisability of that inspection is to avoid not doing something that would be impossible to accomplish after fabric is complete.

The second one - 1992 was recently finished. I didn't keep much of a build log, but took enough pictures to essentially prove I did the building as I wantd the Repairmans Certificate. I had no problem with Registration or the Airworthiness Inspection on either - FSDO performed.

My take on the legalities is that for registration, you need some sort of paper trail to the original kit transaction. Sometimes with a previously owned kit the paper trail is not readily available and an explanation of that fact with the letter prepared by Kitfox Aircraft and found on their website will suffice. On my second project, I declared it constructed from miscellaneous parts and that was accepted.

Then the eligibility for the airworthiness certificate is determined by the DAR or FSDO inspector - the one legally mandated inspection. This is based on what they consider proper construction techniques for aircraft. I often tease about the dog house built with wings using AN hardware, cotter pins and appropriately safety wired earning an Airworthiness Certificate. Neither the FSDO or the DAR will certify that any airplane will actually fly. They will look at W/B data, fuel flow data, etc. and technique which with your experience you will recognize immediately. The repairman certificate is then issued if it is apparent that the builder did the major portion of the construction. I suspect with your licenses, that would not be an issue.

As far as its actual airworthiness, you would ultimately determine that as I suspect you would be the one to ultimately fly it. I would also suspect that with your experience you could easily determine that or would know when to bring in someone who could help in areas you are not comfortable with. Then and I would think this might be a real clincher. Since there has never been a reported in flight structural failure in a Kitfox, despite the wide variation in the builder's technical abilities and since the Model IV has the greatest number of flying airplanes, I would think any serious discrepancy would be fairly obvious.

In my opinion, you are looking at a winner. Best wishes.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Not REALLY necessary, but I would be sure to make the fuel system alcohol proof. That may require removing and replacing the wing tanks.

Now, having said that, my 1994 version Classic 4 wing tanks came coated with Kreem and a sticker that says it is resistant to most fuel additives. The Kreem seems to still be in perfect shape.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder