Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: "Tundra Tires"?

Default Re: "Tundra Tires"?

My Kitfox III with the Desser 27" tyres and Matco 8" wide tailwheel. Didn't fly it yet, still working on the installation of the double caliper ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a great looking Kitfox!

Out of interest, have you got the single arm Matco tail wheel or the double arm one?

how much did they slow the airplane down
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

What a transformation.looks great! !

They look really nice. I just got my 27" Aero Classics installed with Matco wheels and brakes. I love the tires but I'm disappointed with the single puck brakes. You made the right choice with double puck. I might have to go that way. I started with 10 psi but I'm now at 7 and think I'll keep coming down. They don't look deflected at all with 7 psi and it's easy to push around. Might have to carry a step stool to get in. By the way, I measured them on my bench with 10 psi and they are exactly 27 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have about a hundred pavement landings on mine now and the little molding strip in the center is still there. I think there going to last a long time

Wow. Nice looking tire. Yeah I am curious too, how much they slowed you down.

I searched for options but I ended up going back with Nanco 21". I did get almost 300 landings out of them all on pavement with no problems. I am going to run a little higher pressure from now on, and the new ones seem to be less "out of round", so I don't get the bad vibration on take off. We'll see how it goes.

The Dresser 27" were way, way out of my price range but they sure look cool.

I got a set of the Aero Classic 8.50-6 22” tundra tires and tubes for my bird. I’m thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to forego using talcum powder inside the tires when installing the tubes since they are a low-pressure tire. My thinking is that it might make it less likely that the tubes could shift in the tires. Any thoughts?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Seems like good reasoning to me John. One other direction of thinking:

I do think that a lot of the stem shear is from the tire rotating and dragging the tube with it which pulls on the stem. Maybe copious amounts of talc would be better so the tire can move with out pulling the tube with it? I have heard of people using short small screws to hold the bead stationary to the rim? Also, maybe you would regret this, but maybe you could use windshield urethane to hold the tire in place?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I think that is an excellent idea John. On initial installation of tubes into the tires maybe do several extra inflation/deflation cycles to help the tube slide around and seat itself without any wrinkles.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS