Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 582 oil injection cable

Default Rotax 582 oil injection cable

I went to fly my kitfox yesterday and doing my preflight I found that when I moved the throttle the oil injection cable end where it attaches to the oil injector was coiming out of the sleeve and not actuating the arm all the way. I was curios so I moved the throttle back and forth 3 - 4 times and finally the cable popped out of the slot where it attaches to the throttle arm! what keeps the cable in place?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Rotax 582 oil injection cable

this is one solution ,,its a throttle cable end so you can adjust it some call them barrel ends
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 10-26-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

if both ends of your cable are still connected and the casing has come out of its end seat,,the cable is separated in the middle,..choices to fix it,..replace complete cable and housing..or go to a bicycle shop get a length of Teflon coated cable the right diameter,,take some wd40 and clean the existing housing good with a wire that fits the caseing..spray right into the end of the housing..then run new cable thru get the cable ends,,I think Lowes has them in the bolt department..if not I know Napa auto carries them..
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 10-26-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I agree, with that much slack cable it appears the inner cable has broken.

Some people safety wire the cables into the sockets by twisting wire around the cable sheath next to the ferrel then wrap the ends of the safety wire around the tubing stub the sockets are welded to.

I knocked the cables out of their sockets a few times with my big foot when I first started flying my kitfox but have just learned to know where my feet are and haven 't done that in a while now.

If you need a new cable, the factory had them in stock when I needed one a couple years ago. The part number is 43013.000
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to order a new cable for it. I like the idea of safety wiring the cable ends.

One of several reasons why a lot of people pre-mix rather than inject. That would of cost you an engine and a forced landing had you been airborn.

The return spring is not on the oil injection pump to pull the cable back. That is a full open oil pump with out the spring.

Good catch Grady!
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Yeah good find! Seemed like there should be something else to keep it in there! So can I replace just the spring or do I have to change the whole cable?

If you fix the spring the tension will hold the cable in place.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder