Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Soundproofing blanket

Default Soundproofing blanket

Hi all. I am looking for some advice. I am ready to install my engine, and am wondering if it is advisable to install the Gray soundproofing blanket that came with my early 90s kit. Is it effective or not? I have seen pictures of it installed on this forum and some look pretty ratty,oil stained, and ripped. Plus the Kitfox factory aircraft dont seem to have any sort of material attached to the firewall at all. Is this something that proved to not be that great an idea? Or is it worthwhile? I dont think it is meant to be a fireproofing material, and that is a whole other issue.

Thanks Dutch

Default Re: Soundproofing blanket

Dutch,

Probably one of those things that is a judgment issue.

Have a friend with one of the earlier KFs with the blanket installed.....can't say it is any quieter than my 7 without the blanket.

I doubt that the blanket is fireproof....maybe fire resistant to a point but I bet if a person turned a torch on it, it would char or burn.

The blanket seems to soak stuff up and can't be cleaned very well.....

The SS firewall is easy to keep clean and free of crud.

I don't think that heat penetration to the cockpit is much of an issue with the kitfox. We just have the SS firewall and I never feel any noticable heat through the firewall that would cause discomfort. (put it this way, if I DID, I am pretty sure this would be indicative of a situation far more problematic than a little discomfort )

I think it is a judgment issue and builders choice as to use it or not. People speak of weight also - I have no idea how much it weighs but every little bit adds up.

I thought of using a ceramic blanket.......which is entirely fireproof...but that has its constellation of issues too (soaking up crud and people breathing the particles isn't exactly good to do)....so have not done that either.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, mn

Any trouble with cold on the firewall since you are up north here with me?

I was thinking of just using some baffle seal material along the edge on my IV project instead of full insulation... ?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks Dave S
    You pretty well confirmed my thinking on the soundproofing thing.
    As to fireproofing. Back in my salad days driving trucks over the mine strewn roads of Vietnam I used to sit on my flack jacket because we had convinced ourselves that the absolute worst thing that could happen to you was to catch it in the jewels. Doing so was of course utter nonsense. But being proactive helped us to cope. So if fireproofing your firewall helps you cope. I say go for it.

Again Thanks Dutch

Larry,

If I recall, the IV is constructed differently than the 7 (which has a separate boot cowl from the upper engine cowl); however, I can't ever recall feeling cold coming through the firewall - it is pretty well sealed up. I'd think the baffle seal would work well on a IV.

I found air leaks to be the main issue with keeping the temp in the cabin under control......the wing roots, turtle deck flaperon horn slots and a little around the doors seems to be where most of the air leaks come from. Also get a little draft up from the tail cone. Getting most of these "pneumonia holes" sealed up keeps the cabin pretty cozy.....I have not flown the plane in weather colder than minus 10 F but the heater keeps up with it pretty well to that point - much warmer than the old 182 I once flew.

Dutch,

I appreciate your reference to Vietnam & novel uses of flack jackets......have to say "I resemble that remark"......sometimes you use stuff for whatever makes sense at the time......a bit off topic, but, we had some outliers riding in the back of the truck who did not understand aerodynamics at all.......there are certain biological functions which should NEVER be performed off the tailgate of a moving truck........over the side is better...although that may have its own constellation of risks.

I have always found it useful to understand aerodynamics.......

DS

KF 7

something about a flat rock in the wind? lol I have some air coming in around my firewall so I'm going to put a rolled seal that will allow the cowl sections to compress them to seal the gap,..should do the trick,..todays flight ,..much colder then previous days,,I really noticed the air coming in ,..a rolled or curled seal similar to the seal on a garage door so any air that hits it will automatically push it against the cowl around the firewall
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

My IV had far too much cold air coming around the "blanket" firewall....so... I installed baffle seal around the firewall, which does a great job of keeping the cold out of the cabin. Now my winter flights are warm enough to be comfortable ... And I don't need to wear gloves, even down as cold as -15. I've got one heat muff around the muffler with a single eyeball vent directing the hot air into the cabin. Works quite well.
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

I got frost bite just reading ( -15) lol that's basically what I'm going to do with a baffle type seal,..but I'm opting for the coolant heater
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL